Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers 601 W Swann Ave Tampa, FL 33606 personal injury and car accident lawyer in Tampa

Personal Injury Blog

Get a free consultation now

Car Accident Reports in Florida

Car Accident Reports in Florida

Unfortunately, car accidents occur every day. Due to their common occurrence, it is important to know what you should do if you are in one. One thing you’ll most likely have to do is alert the police. The police will then arrive at the scene and create an accident report. This blog post covers the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding car accident reports in Florida.

When Should I Report a Car Accident?

Call the local police immediately if you are involved in just about any car accident. If the accident is relatively serious, this will be required by law (more on this below). Even if it isn’t, the police can help facilitate the exchange of information and make an official report of the incident with the parties on the record

At the time of the accident, you may not feel the effects of an injury. Some injuries are delayed in their surfacing. Additionally, it may seem at first glance that there is no damage to your vehicle. However, injuries and issues with your car can always surface at a later time

Due to these delayed effects, it is important to have an official record of the accident. This official record allows you to point back to the facts and circumstances of the accident. This will assist you in seeking coverage from an insurance company or the other party involved in the accident.

Is Reporting an Accident Required in Florida?

The short answer is yes. Under Florida law, drivers involved in a car accident are required to contact the applicable authority immediately when the accident causes an injury, death, or more than $500 in property damage. Because this covers the vast majority of car accidents, it is a safe practice to alert the police after any incident in the state.

To Which Law Enforcement Agency Do I Report the Accident?

If the accident occurs within city limits, the driver must report the accident to the local police department. If the accident did not occur within city limits, the driver must report the accident to the county sheriff’s office or to the nearest Florida Highway Patrol station.

What if I Fail To Report an Accident?

If a driver fails to report an accident that must be reported under Florida law, the driver may be given a non-criminal, non-moving traffic citation. The citation comes with a $30 fine. If the accident is not investigated, the driver may be held liable for a separate non-moving traffic citation if the driver fails to file a required written accident report.

What if I Cannot Report My Accident Immediately?

Florida law makes an exception for drivers that are not able to file a report due to incapacitation. If the driver is indisposed, he or she is exempted from filing the report during that period of time. However, the driver is required to report the accident as soon as it is safe to do so.

If the driver is not capable of making a verbal report or a future written report within the allotted time frame and if there is a capable passenger in the car with the driver, the passenger must make the report. If the passenger is incapable of reporting the accident, he or she must have another person do so.

How Can I Retrieve My Florida Car Accident Report?

This webpage contains instructions on how to obtain your car accident report in Florida. You have three options to do so: in-person, via mail, or online. The current fee to retrieve a report is $10.00.

Do You Still Have Questions About Your Florida Car Accident Report?

If you have further questions on Florida’s requirements for reporting a car accident, a skilled St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer can help. Most personal injury attorneys in Florida offer a free consultation to discuss your case as well.

Contact the St. Petersburg Car Accident Law Firm of Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers for Help Today

For more information, please contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation with a car accident lawyer in St. Petersburg today. We have five convenient locations in Florida, including Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, New Port Richey, and Lakeland.

We proudly serve Hillsborough County, Pinellas County, Pasco County, Polk County, and its surrounding areas:

Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers – Tampa Office
601 W Swann Ave, Tampa, FL 33606
(813) 223-6200

Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers – Clearwater Office
600 Bypass Dr Suite 224-D, Clearwater, FL 33764
(727) 493-4418

Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers – St. Petersburg Office
111 2nd Ave NE Suite 350, St. Petersburg, FL 33701
(727) 314-5988

Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers – New Port Richey Office
5006 Trouble Creek Rd Unit #200, Port Richey, FL 34652
(727) 910-5060

Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers – Lakeland Office
1543 Lakeland Hills Blvd Suite 18, Lakeland, FL 33805
(863) 251-6196

Recent Posts

My Child Got Hurt At Daycare: Filing A Daycare Accident Report

How Much Does It Cost To Hire A Tampa Personal Injury Attorney?

When Are There Exceptions For The Statute Of Limitations?

Google Rating
Based on 359 reviews
Call Now Button