I’ve Been Hurt in a Motorcycle Accident in St. Petersburg – Do I Need a Lawyer?
October 8, 2022 | Winters & Yonker, P.A.
More so than car accidents, motorcycle accidents are nothing to take lightly. They are even more dangerous and deadly.
In 2021, there were 8,647 motorcycle accidents throughout Florida, and 621 resulted in a motorcyclist fatality. As of October 1, 2022, there have already been 6,563 motorcycle crashes that killed 423 people in Florida. Thousands more have suffered injuries in these crashes.
Due to these shocking statistics, it may be in your best interest to seek help from an experienced attorney in your area if you are in a motorcycle accident.
Is a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Necessary?
Like most legal questions, whether a lawyer is necessary when you are in a motorcycle accident will depend on the circumstances.
If you are in a motorcycle accident and have suffered no injury or damage to yourself or your motorcycle, you may not need an attorney. However, these circumstances are very rare, especially in a motorcycle collision.
Typically in a motorcycle accident, there will be at least some damage to your motorcycle and probably to your body. There may be medical bills. There may be repair invoices necessary to have your bike fixed. And worst of all, your insurance may not cover all or any of it or may refuse coverage.
How Do I Select a St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
This is a very important question. No two lawyers are the same, and some lawyers have more experience than others. Additionally, motorcycle accidents are unique, so you will want an attorney with plenty of experience in handling personal injury claims involving motorcycle accidents.
Here are some tips for you to use when researching a lawyer for your particular claim:
- Ask around. Other people have been injured in motorcycle accidents and have probably used a lawyer to help them. Word of mouth and personal references are the best way to find solid recommendations.
- Go online and look at reviews. Make sure these reviews are from a third-party vendor. Some sites are paid only to allow good reviews to be visible. Additionally, the law firm’s website will most likely never have bad reviews.
- Look to see if the lawyer has previous experience with claims involving motorcycle wrecks. Check out their practice areas online. Some websites have statistics on a lawyer’s past case results, including favorable settlements and verdicts.
- Research to see if the lawyer has experience in settling cases and what the average settlement amount is.
- Check to see if the lawyer has experience handling insurance companies and their adjusters.
- Research to see if the lawyer is classified as AV Preeminent on Martindale or has a perfect 10 score on Avvo or other attorney rating websites.
Of course, you can schedule a free consultation with most motorcycle accident lawyers in St. Petersburg and ask many of these questions in person. However, it’s good to have an idea of the person you’ll be speaking with and the questions to ask.
How Can a Lawyer Help Me If I Have Been in a Motorcycle Accident in St. Petersburg, FL?
An experienced lawyer can help you in several ways if you have been in a motorcycle accident, including:
- Lawyers know the law: It is a lawyer’s job to know the law. However, you will want a lawyer who knows motorcycle laws specifically. They will be able to assist you in the procedures of the Florida judicial system and know how to handle your specific personal injury claim.
- Lawyers have experience handling insurance companies: If you are injured, the last thing you will want to do is fight with an insurance company for coverage. An experienced lawyer will know how to handle insurance adjusters and what specific arguments to make on your behalf. They will have a better understanding of the policy involved and know when the insurance company is not abiding by the applicable coverage.
- Lawyers can take on the load you should not have to bear: If you are injured in a motorcycle accident, adding a lawsuit on top of your injury will only prolong the healing process and increase the headache. A lawyer is able to advise you on the best steps you should take. Additionally, they are equipped to handle the court system’s procedures, judges, filings, a potential jury, opposing counsel, etc.
These are only a few things an attorney can do for you after a motorcycle crash. The main point is that you will likely receive more money in your accident claim if you hire an attorney than if you attempt to handle it alone.
What Will It Cost To Hire a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, Florida?
The cost associated with working with a lawyer on a personal injury claim involving a motorcycle collision will depend upon the lawyer. Most motorcycle accident lawyers work based on a contingency fee, which will require you to sign a contingency fee agreement.
The contingency fee arrangement means that the lawyer will get paid out of the amount you are paid on your claim. Again, even with the contingency fee agreement, the amount will vary from lawyer to lawyer. They may charge anywhere between 25-40% depending on the circumstances and complexity of your case.
If you have been in a motorcycle accident and have suffered damages, seek out an experienced attorney to help you with your claim. You can request a free consultation to determine if you require the assistance of an attorney.
Contact the St. Petersburg Motorcycle Accident Law Firm of Winters & Yonker, P.A. for Help Today
For more information, please contact Winters & Yonker, P.A. to schedule a free consultation with a motorcycle accident lawyer in St. Petersburg today. We have five convenient locations in Florida, including Tampa, Clearwater, St. Petersburg, New Port Richey, and Lakeland.