How to Prepare for a Consultation With Your Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
If you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall or other accident, the first thing you need to do is seek immediate medical treatment. Even if you don’t think you’re hurt, you need to go to the hospital. You could have injuries that you can’t see. The next thing you need to do is call a Tampa personal injury lawyer. He can review your case and let you know if you have a valid claim. Since the initial consultation is free you should prepare for the consultation, you really have nothing to lose.
A lot of people are nervous to call an attorney. There are a few reasons for this:
- You’re afraid you’ll be forced to sign a retainer agreement
- You aren’t sure what questions you’ll be asked
- You’re afraid to admit you’re partially at fault
- You’ve had a negative experience with a lawyer in the past
There’s no reason to be afraid or nervous. Lawyer are people too. They just know the law more than you do. And, they’ve spent years training on how to handle cases just like yours.
If you prepare before your first meeting with your Tampa personal injury lawyer, you won’t be so nervous.
Make Sure You Do Your Homework Before Meeting with Your Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
Your free initial consultation won’t take all that long. You’ll probably be in and out in a half hour. So you want to make every minute count. Before you go to his office, make sure you have the following information:
- What happened? Be prepared to describe the circumstances of your accident or injury.
- Who is involved? Make sure you have the names of everyone involved. Understand what role each person played.
- Have the dates and times for any important events that took place.
- If there has been prior communication with the other party, be prepared to discuss this. Your attorney will not have time to listen to a play-by-play. Be ready to summarize any communications between you and the other party.
Your Tampa personal injury lawyer will take notes and ask any questions along the way. Make sure you are upfront and honest. You don’t want to have him get blindsided down the road. Your attorney is going to find out anyway. The defendant’s attorney will find out soon enough.
You’ll Want to Bring Certain Information to Your Consultation with Your Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer
Before you leave for your meeting with your Tampa personal injury lawyer, make sure you have all your paperwork ready. You’ll want to bring as much information with you as possible. You may not have much time to file your suit. You don’t want to hold your attorney up any longer than necessary.
For your first consultation, make sure to bring the following:
- Accident or police report
- All medical records related to your injuries and treatments
- Copies of any bills for out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident
- Pictures of the accident scene or location
- Contact information for all eye witnesses
- Name and insurance information for other party
- Pictures of any injuries you suffered (if available)
- Contact information for your insurance company
- A copy of your insurance policy
- Any communications between you and the other party
- Any letters or documents received by an attorney for the other party
This may seem like a lot. However, it’s all relevant to your case. And your attorney is going to need it eventually. You’re much better off giving it to him all at once.
Your Tampa personal injury lawyer can review all of this information. He’ll let you know how strong your case is. He may also be able to let you know how much your case is worth.
Your Tampa personal injury lawyer may let you know he needs additional information. Make sure you try to get him this information as soon as possible. The sooner he has the full picture, the sooner he can start preparing your case.
Contact a Tampa Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you or a loved one have been injured, you should contact a Tampa personal injury lawyer today. Even if your injuries seem minor, you may still be entitled to damages. Your Tampa personal injury lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Call and schedule your free initial consultation at Winters & Yonker today. He can answer any questions you may have. He can even reach out to the defendant’s attorney and see if he’s willing to settle. The consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing until you win your case.