Thousands of car accidents occur in Lakeland and Polk County each year. Collisions cause severe injuries, property damage, and monetary losses. Accident victims can also experience debilitating pain and suffering because of their injuries.
The Lakeland car accident lawyers of Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers understand the devastation caused by automobile accidents. We have over 119 years of combined experience handling personal injury claims. Through our dedication and aggressive legal skills, we have recovered millions of dollars for our clients in jury verdicts and settlements since the firm opened in 2001.
Contact or call our law firm today to schedule your free consultation with an experienced Lakeland car accident attorney at (863) 251-6196. We work on a contingency fee, so you do not pay any attorneys’ fees until we win your case.
How Our Lakeland Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You With a Car Accident Claim
Our legal team at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers protects car accident victims from unfair insurance tactics and insistent claims adjusters daily. Lakeland car accident attorneys handle all aspects of your personal injury claim so that you can focus on your recovery.
We believe accident victims deserve fair compensation and to be treated with respect and compassion. Therefore, we work to maximize recovery amounts for our clients while decreasing the stress caused by dealing with an injury claim.
When you hire us to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Evaluate your case and explain your options for seeking compensation for damages
- Investigate the cause of your car crash to identify who is liable for your damages
- Verify insurance coverage, file insurance claims, and negotiate settlements
- Work with medical specialists, financial professionals, accident reconstructionists, and other expert witnesses as necessary
- Document your damages to calculate how much your car accident claim is worth
- Aggressively negotiate a settlement agreement that compensates you for all losses
- File a personal injury lawsuit and take the case to court if the insurance company refuses to negotiate in good faith
You are not alone. Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help you with your accident case. We’ll use our considerable resources, experience, and skills to get you the money you are entitled to receive.
Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in Lakeland, FL.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Lakeland, FL?
The City of Lakeland has the largest population in Polk County. Therefore, it is no surprise that our area has thousands of car accidents each year.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) tracks traffic accidents throughout the state. In 2021, the FLHSMV reported a total of 401,537 statewide traffic crashes, including 3,737 traffic deaths and over 252,000 injuries.
In 2022 the number of statewide collisions decreased, with 386,180, including 3,355 traffic deaths and 245,936 people injured.
Polk County and Lakeland car accident statistics between 2018 and 2022 are as follows:
- 2018: 11,635
- 2019: 11,963
- 2020: 11,230
- 2021: 13,391
- 2022: 13,225
As of 01/07/23, there have been 14 accidents, 2 of them including pedestrians and resulting in 15 injuries.
Tragically, most car accidents are preventable. They are caused by driver negligence and wrongdoing.
How Many Fatal Car Accidents Occur in Lakeland, FL?
The number of fatal crashes reported in Polk County between 2018 and 2022 is as follows:
- 2018: 110
- 2019: 115
- 2020: 122
- 2021: 171
- 2022: 113
Typically, only around 1% of the county’s collisions result in death. However, that doesn’t mean fatal accidents can’t occur anytime.
How Many Lakeland Car Accidents Result in Injuries?
Here is the number of car crashes that resulted in an injury in Polk County over the last several years:
- 2018: 5,158
- 2019: 5,231
- 2020: 4,805
- 2021: 5,744
- 2022: 5,852
On average, around 43.5% of Polk County’s car accidents result in an injury.
Lakeland Bicycle Accident Statistics
The number of bicycle accidents that occurred in Polk County between 2018 and 2022 is as follows:
- 2018: 142 accidents resulting in 3 fatalities and 131 injuries
- 2019: 136 accidents resulting in 7 fatalities and 122 injuries
- 2020: 140 accidents resulting in 4 fatalities and 127 injuries
- 2021: 139 accidents resulting in 8 fatalities and 122 injuries
- 2022: 166 accidents resulting in 4 fatalities and 156 injuries
The average fatality rate for bicyclists in Polk County is 3.84%, whereas the injury rate is around 90%.
Lakeland Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The number of motorcycle accidents that occurred in Polk County between 2018 and 2022 is as follows:
- 2018: 313 accidents resulting in 12 fatalities and 274 injuries
- 2019: 297 accidents resulting in 31 fatalities and 249 injuries
- 2020: 283 accidents resulting in 25 fatalities and 229 injuries
- 2021: 308 accidents resulting in 26 fatalities and 272 injuries
- 2022: 298 accidents resulting in 20 fatalities and 255 injuries
The fatality rate for motorcyclists who are in accidents in Lakeland is higher than that of bicyclists. Motorcyclists have an average fatality rate of over 7%, but their average injury rate is lower, at 85.42%.
Lakeland Pedestrian Accident Statistics
The number of pedestrian accidents that occurred in Polk County between 2018 and 2022 is as follows:
- 2018: 302 accidents resulting in 23 fatalities and 225 injuries
- 2019: 330 accidents resulting in 22 fatalities and 235 injuries
- 2020: 292 accidents resulting in 26 fatalities and 170 injuries
- 2021: 335 accidents resulting in 27 fatalities and 189 injuries
- 2022: 342 accidents resulting in 26 fatalities and 220 injuries
Polk County pedestrians and motorcyclists have a similar fatality rate of over 7%. However, the pedestrian injury rate averages around 65%, which is lower than that of bicyclists and motorcyclists.
What Are Common Causes of Lakeland Car Accidents?
The causes of car crashes in Lakeland include, but are not limited to:
- Reckless driving
- Distracted driving
- Impaired driving
- Drowsy and fatigued driving
- Road rage and aggressive driving
- Following too closely or tailgating
- Improper turns and lane changes
- Failing to follow traffic laws
Evidence proving fault for a car accident can include videos from traffic cameras, eyewitness testimony, and physical evidence. Your attorney might hire an accident reconstructionist to help establish the cause of a crash if the evidence is insufficient to determine fault.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Lakeland Car Accident Lawyers
The person who caused your traffic accident needs to be held financially responsible for the harm they caused. At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, we work to ensure that negligent parties pay for the damages they cause. Call us to schedule a free case evaluation with one of our Lakeland car accident attorneys.