The NHTSA, which stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, has declared distracted driving to be a major concern for the entire country. This kind of dangerous activity has spread and caused a lot of problems in the community. Distracted driving can be caused by a number of reasons, including carelessness and also the use of electronic devices when driving. When an accident occurs as a result of a motorist who is not paying attention it can usually cause a lot of suffering and damage. a New Port Richey distracted driving lawyer can help you recover compensation for this damage.
According to the NHTSA reports, the number of drivers who lose their lives as a result of distracted driving is estimated to be 3,000. This United States report was recorded in the year 2010. Furthermore, distracted driving is also a major cause of other serious injuries. if you or your loved one is involved in an accident caused by a distracted driver, then you might want to seek help from a legal representative. The Winter & Yonker personal injury attorneys can help you get a secure recovery.
Table of Contents
What are Main Sources of Distracted Driving?
Distracted driving can occur at any time when a driver is behind the wheel. A driver can get distracted because of many reasons, including the following:
- Eating or drinking
- Controlling the music player or the cooling system.
- Paying too much attention to the navigation system
- Speaking to passengers.
- Texting when driving.
- Using a cell phone
Distracted driving is not something new and has spread in many places within a short period. The number of distractions keeps on rising because of different electronic gadgets that are being used on the road, especially the use of cellphones since they are known to be a major distraction for many drivers. When using your cellphone to send a message, it becomes difficult to focus on the road since you use your physical, visual, and cognitive ability to text. Drivers who use their cellphones when driving have a high risk of being involved in an accident compared to those who drive without using their cellphones.
Florida legislature is determined to ban the use of cellphones to text when driving. That is because most drivers end up causing severe accidents. That is why you should seek legal assistance if you are involved in an accident caused by a distracted driver. Moreover, you can be compensated for any losses that you sustain after the accident if the driver is to blame because of distracted driving.
Distracted Driving Statistics That You Should Know
Our New Port Richey car accident lawyers have seen distracted driving play a major role in many car accidents including:
- In 2014, 16% of car accidents were related to distracted driving.
- Drivers aged between 20-29 were involved in serious accidents. 24 % of these cases were as a result of distracted driving. This makes up 29% of the age group, and as for cellphone users, 39% were victims of distracted driving.
- 61% of the drivers who lost their lives were involved in fatal crashes as a result of distracted cases. 13% is the number of pedestrians that were involved and 22% for the passengers.
- Those who were involved in accidents related to distracted driving are estimated to be 18%, and 8% of these victims were affected because of the use of electronic gadgets such as cell phones.
- 7% of the drivers aged between 15-19 were involved in fatal accidents, with 13 % of these drivers were found to have been using their cell phones while driving.
- In 2014, 9% of teenagers lost their lives in accidents related to distracted driving.
- The total number of teenage drivers that were involved in fatal accidents is 10%, and those that lost their lives as a result of distracted driving is 52%.
- A survey that was done in 2013 revealed that teens are not the only ones who have this habit of texting while driving, but adults also do the same thing when they are behind the wheel. Moreover, 98% of the victims were aware of the risks involved in such actions.
- In the year 2015, the use of electronic devices while driving dropped by a great percentage. That is according to the NHTSA.
How is Negligence Determined in a Distracted Driving Accident?
Criminal prosecutions are not the same as personal injury cases. These two types of cases have different standards when it comes to evidence and assessing responsibility. However, some somethings do not change, such as persuading the juries and making them believe that the driver caused the accident as a result of being distracted or negligent. Personal injury cases can also be settled in advanced trials, and you can get all the help you want from the Winter & Yonker lawyers.
Recently, the media has focused on the matter of texting while driving, but this is an issue that has been there for an extended period. You also need to be aware of the fact that there are defense arguments that will try and convince the jury that the cause of the accident was another issue. That is why it is important to have a lawyer who is experienced in distracted driving cases. With our help, you can get the justice that you deserve by helping you win your case.
We have served hundreds of clients who have been involved in cases related to distracted driving. We understand that dealing with such cases can be difficult and stressful; that is why we will assist you at each step. All you have to do is call us today and get a chance to talk to a professional personal injury lawyer. Our services are available to all of New Port Richey and the surrounding area.
How Are Damages Measured in Distracted Driving Cases?
Certain factors determine how much a victim will be paid in terms of compensation if one wins a distracted driving case. Some of these factors are injuries inflicted and issues or problems caused by these injuries. Even though the insurance companies will try and offer a settlement, you should take time to make sure that all your financial needs are met.
Accidents related to distracted driving can be prevented. However, what causes these accidents to keep on occurring is the unwillingness and driver’s inability to acknowledge the risk involved. Such actions can leave your entire family in sorrow. Victims of distracted driving cases are usually compensated for the injuries that they sustain. This covers lost wages, medical bills, cost of seeking physical and mental treatment as well as physical therapy.
It is not advisable to try and seek out compensation without the help of a legal representative. That is because you will be vulnerable to adjusters who work for the interest of insurance companies. These professionals will try their best to settle the matter as quickly as possible by paying off their victims a small amount. However, with the help of our lawyers, you are guaranteed to have a strong case. Furthermore, we will make sure that you get paid a decent amount for your loss.
Call a New Port Richey Distracted Driving Lawyer
Legal action should be taken against drivers who cause accidents because of negligence and distracted driving. If this is not done, then other drivers will follow in the same footsteps and, as a result, cause more harm and damage. Therefore, make sure that you talk to the Florida injury firm of Winter & Yonker when facing a distracted driving case.
In New Port Richey, victims of distracted driving cases are given a 4-year window to file for a claim. By contacting us today we can help you secure experienced legal representation. Moreover, we also offer a free consultation to all our customers.