Burn Injury Lawyers in St Petersburg FL
St Petersburg Burn Injury Attorney
Most doctors agree that burn injuries are the most painful type of injury you can suffer. When people think about car accidents and personal injury claims, they don’t really think about burns and the huge need for an experienced St Petersburg burn injury attorney. They think about broken bones and brain injuries. However, burn injuries are a lot more common than you may think. In fact, every year, over 450,000 people suffer burn injuries. And, burn injuries can be fatal. Close to 3.500 people die every year from accidents that result in burn injuries. As you might guess, most burns injuries are the result of house fires. Many more are caused by car accidents. However, a great many burns are caused by explosions, scalding accidents and electrical accidents. The sad thing is, most of the accidents could have been prevented. If you or your child have experienced a burn injury, you should contact a St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer that is experienced with burn injury accidents.
Thankfully, although they’re very painful, most people do fully recover from their burn injuries. Almost 96% of burn victims survive their injuries. They may end up with permanent issues such as scarring. However, with surgery and long-term treatment, many can fully recover. A burn injury lawyer will make sure you get your compensation for these injuries.
Burn Injury Lawyers Handle All Types of Burn Cases
Burn injuries can be caused by many different types of accidents. The three main causes of burn injuries are:
- Coming into contact with actual fire or flames
- Scalding yourself with hot liquids
- Burning yourself from touching something very hot
Depending on how serious your burn injuries are, you may require medical treatment. Just to be safe, burn injuries lawyers advise you to seek medical treatment, even for minor burns. One reason is that you can’t tell just how severe your burns are. They may get worse over time and you want to make sure you’re healthy.
There are different types of burns. Your burn injury lawyer has decades of experience handling burn injuries. The most common types of burns are:
- Chemical Burns – This type of burn is more common than you may think. There are many different chemicals that can burn your skin or eyes. It’s important to always read the warnings on any chemical that you intend to use. Sometimes, the third party causes the injury and you’ll have no way to know the danger exists.
- Battery acid
- Strong cleaners
- Electrical Burns – Whether you’re an electrician or just a layperson, you have to be careful of electrical burns. Sometimes, they are caused by something as simple as grabbing an exposed wire – such as with an extension cord. Or, you may have an appliance that malfunctions and causes burns to your body.
- Friction Burns – This type of burn is common with car and motorcycle accidents. When your body is dragged very fast over an abrasive service like asphalt it can cause severe friction burns on your exposed skin.
- Radiation burns – People who work in oncology are often exposed to radiation. Both the staff and the patients can suffer from radiation burns. They often build up over time but they can also occur in one session.
If you or a loved one have suffered a burn injury, you have to call a burn injuries lawyer. He can review your case and help you decide what parties should be held responsible for your injuries.
Your St Petersburg Burn Injury Attorney Will Get You the Compensation You Deserve
Any burn injury attorney will tell you that you have to go to the hospital to get your burns checked out. It doesn’t matter if you need minor treatment or surgery. You don’t want to take the risk that the burn won’t heal properly. You also need to make sure you document your injuries. Your burn injury lawyer is going to need proof that you were hurt. Without medical documentation, the defendant will claim that your injuries were caused by something other than the accident.
Burns are measured in degrees. Most people know this. The higher the degree, the more serious the burn.
Every degree requires a different level of medical treatment. The basic breakdown of burns by degree are as follows:
- First-Degree Burns – First-degree burns only affect the outer layer of skin. They typically heal within a week or so. An example of a first-degree burn is when you are burned in a tanning bed. If you use a commercial tanning bed and are severely burned, you should call a St Petersburg burn injury attorney immediately. Remember to take pictures of your burns so you have proof. Since they heal quickly, first-degree burns don’t often entitle you to a whole lot of compensation.
- Second-Degree Burns – These burns affect both the outer layer of skin and the layer beneath it. Most second-degree burns require a skin graft. A skin graft is a medical procedure where a surgeon takes skin from one part of your body and puts it on the burned area.
- Third-Degree – Third-degree burns are the most serious type of burn. They are extremely painful and can cause life-long damage. They almost require multiple surgeries and may require long-term hospitalization. These burns don’t just burn your skin. Third-degree burns actually burn the tissues and muscles beneath the skin. You’ll require several skin graft procedures. It can take you months or a year to heal from a third-degree burn. These burns are usually the result of a house fire or car accident. Most people who die from their burn injuries have third-degree burns.
Your Burn Injuries Lawyer Will Demand Damages
Personal injury lawyers will demand damages for your injuries. The same is true with a burn injuries lawyer. If you’ve only suffered a minor burn, you probably didn’t miss more than a couple days of work. You will only have minor medical bills. However, the more serious your burns, the more serious your damages. Your St Petersburg burn injury attorney will fight to get you the most money possible.
Damages from a burn injury include:
- Medical bills – You’re should get compensation for any medical bills related to your burn injuries. Remember, this includes any future medical bills you may incur. You may require skin grafts for years after the accident. The defendant needs to be held responsible for these damages.
- Lost wages – Regardless of how much time you missed, your burn injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated. You will have to give your burn injury lawyer copies of pay stubs and time sheets to document your lost wages.
- Pain and suffering – Florida is one of the states that allow pain and suffering. Juries know that burn injuries are very painful. They tend to award high amounts of damages for these cases. Your lawyer knows this. So does the defendant’s lawyer. This is why most cases settle long before they go to trial.
- Permanent disability – Some burn injuries are so severe, you may become permanently disabled. You may never be able to do the same type of work again. This will not only hurt you financially, but they may also hurt you mentally. Your burn injuries lawyer will fight to get you compensated for future lost earnings.
- Facial disfigurement – If you suffer burns on your face, you may need multiple skin grafts and cosmetic surgery. This could cause facial disfigurement. Regardless of how shallow it sounds, we care about how our faces look. They are the first thing people see when they look at us. They make up our identity. Your burn injury attorney will demand that you get your compensation for this.
Your burn injury lawyer understands what it takes to get you paid. He’ll submit your medical records and prove your damages to the insurance company. If they refuse to settle, your burn injuries lawyer will file a lawsuit on your behalf.
If Your Child Suffers a Burn Injury, a St Petersburg Burn Injury Attorney Can Help
Thousands of children get burned every year. Over 100,000 kids are brought into emergency rooms across the country every year. Many of these kids suffered burns from scalding accidents. Children like to explore. They also wait until an adult is out of sight before they do things like climb onto the stove. When this happens, they end up getting burned. If we have soup or coffee brewing, these hot liquids spill and our child gets burned. If your child has suffered a burn injury, it is critical that you take him or her to the hospital.
Nobody ever wants to think about their child suffering an accident. We work hard to make sure our children are safe. We certainly don’t want to imagine our babies getting scalded. Unfortunately, accidents happen. Some important statistics regarding child burn injuries include:
- Burns and fires is the 5th leading cause of death in children in the United States
- 75% of all child scalding accidents are preventable
- Children and toddlers are most often burned by scalding and flames
- Hot tap water causes more injuries and deaths than any other hot liquid
- 85% of children under 4 who are hospitalized for burns were hurt in a scalding or contact burn
Sometimes, your child gets a burn while in the care of a third party. This includes teachers, babysitters and daycare workers. If this happens to you, call a St Petersburg burn injury attorney. Depending on where your child was at the time of the accident, you will have to pursue a third party for damages. At a time like this, you have to focus on getting your child healed. Let your burn injury lawyer deal with the legal side of things.
Your Burn Injury Lawyer Will Prove Negligence
Suffering a burn injury can be horrible. You may be angry or scared. You will certainly be in pain. However, unless someone is responsible for your accident, you can’t file a lawsuit. In order to successfully file a claim against someone, you have to be able to prove they were negligent. This is why we hire burn injury lawyers. They know how to do this. We do not. Your burn injury lawyer will have to prove the same four components of a negligence claim as he does with any other personal injury cases. These include:
- Somebody owed you or your child a certain duty of care
- The breached this duty
- You or your child suffered injuries
- You suffered injuries because of the breach
In burn cases, it’s not very hard to prove that the accident is the cause of your injuries. However, it won’t be easy to prove that the accident was the defendant’s fault. Your St. Petersburg burn injury attorney must prove that the defendant was negligent.
Here are some examples of when your St Petersburg burn injury attorney will be able to show that the defendant was negligent:
- The babysitter or daycare worker left a pot of boiling water on a child’s desk
- A school or daycare used a stove that was in the reach of children
- A babysitter gave your child a bath in water that was way too hot
- A child minder was having electrical work done with children present
Your burn injuries lawyer will work hard to get you justice. He will negotiate with the defendant’s lawyer or insurance company to settle your claim.
Contact a St Petersburg Burn Injury Attorney Today
If you or a loved one have suffered a burn injury, you need to contact a St Petersburg burn injury attorney today. It will take weeks or months to recover from your burns. It’s important that you focus on your recovery. Let your burn injury lawyer deal with the lawyers and the insurance company. He will make the calls necessary to get your claim settled. However, if they refuse to settle, he may have no choice but to file a lawsuit.
If your St Petersburg burn injury attorney does have to file suit, you will only have two years to do so. The Florida statute of limitations for personal injury cases is only two (2) years from the date of the accident. Whether it’s a slip and fall accident lawyer or a burn injury lawyer schedule an appointment with Winters and Yonker today for a free initial consultation. You can meet with an attorney and discuss your case. You pay nothing until you settle your case.