Were you involved in a collision in St. Petersburg, Florida? If so, you might be entitled to seek compensation for your lost wages, medical bills, and other damages. Unfortunately, insurance companies and other at-fault parties won’t willingly give you the money you deserve.
The St. Petersburg car accident lawyers at Winters & Yonker, P.A. can help you pursue an optimal recovery. We have over a century of combined legal experience, and we’ve secured millions of dollars in life-altering settlements and verdicts on behalf of our clients.
Table of Contents
How Can Our Personal Injury Lawyers Help After a Car Accident in St. Petersburg, FL?
Hiring a St. Petersburg personal injury lawyer to help you with your car accident claim may be your best chance at recovering the maximum compensation available. Insurance adjusters are known for undervaluing and denying claims, but an attorney will push back and ensure they don’t take advantage of you.
The legal team at Winters & Yonker, P.A. are known for aggressively advocating for clients and getting results. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies. We know personal injury law. And we know how to push back against unfair tactics that disadvantage vulnerable accident victims.
When you hire our legal advocates to represent you in your car accident claim, you can expect us to:
- Investigate your collision to determine how it happened, who caused it, and who may be liable for your injuries and damages
- Determine all avenues for compensation, including insurance claims and a personal injury case, if applicable
- Work with accident reconstructionists, medical specialists, and other experts if there are complex issues in your case
- Negotiate and protect you against allegations that you share fault or failed to mitigate damages
- Argue your case in a Pinellas County court if negotiations fail
You may think you don’t need an attorney to represent you after a car accident. However, many cases warrant the knowledge and skills of an experienced auto accident attorney. Contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation to discuss your car wreck. We’ll give you honest legal advice and explain your options for compensation.
How Common Are Car Accidents in St. Petersburg?
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) reported 401,188 statewide car accidents in 2021. Those collisions caused 252,786 injuries and 3,781 deaths. That means at least 63% of crashes resulted in an injury.
Pinellas County accounted for 16,459 of Florida’s collisions in 2021. They resulted in 9,427 injuries and 152 fatalities.
What Causes Most Car Crashes in St. Petersburg, FL?
Car accidents are generally caused by driver error when someone is inattentive or reckless.
Some of the most common causes of collisions in St. Petersburg are:
- Distracted driving
- Speeding or driving too fast for conditions
- Driver fatigue
- Drug or alcohol impairment
- Aggressive driving, such as tailgating or cutting someone off
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Improper passing
- Defective vehicle parts
- Inexperienced driving
- Road debris or poor road conditions, such as potholes
Weather conditions and unfamiliarity with the area can also contribute to collisions in St. Petersburg, FL. We’ll investigate your accident to determine how it happened and who is liable for your damages.
How Much Is My St. Petersburg Car Accident Claim Worth?
Because all car accidents and victims are different, it’s difficult to give an exact number without knowing the specifics of your case. Generally, the more severe your injuries, the more your claim will be worth.
Other factors affect St. Petersburg car accident claim values, including:
- How your injuries impact your quality of life and ability to earn a living
- The parties involved in the case and applicable insurance coverage
- Whether you contributed to the car crash and to what extent
- The emotional trauma you’ve endured due to the accident
- Your pain and suffering
- Whether your injury has caused a permanent impairment or disability
During your free consultation, we’ll review the facts of your case and give you a better idea of how much you can expect to recover.
How Does Florida’s No-Fault Auto Insurance Affect My Car Accident Claim?
Florida is a no-fault auto insurance state. All drivers must carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, which covers the insured after an accident. After a collision, you must first file a claim with your PIP provider, regardless of who was at fault for the accident.
PIP covers up to 80% of your reasonable medical costs and 60% of your lost wages. However, the minimum required PIP coverage in Florida is $10,000, which may not cover all of your losses.
If the at-fault driver has bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage, you can file a claim against their BIL provider. If they don’t, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against them for the losses that exceed your PIP policy limits. Contact us to discuss your case and determine the available options for compensation.
What Compensation Is Available After a Collision in St. Petersburg, FL?
Depending on the severity of your injuries, you may be entitled to economic and non-economic damages. Your compensation will also depend on whether you file an insurance claim, lawsuit, or both.
Economic damages cover the monetary losses you experienced due to the collision, such as:
- Medical care expenses
- Future medical treatment, such as ongoing physical therapy or rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential
- Out-of-pocket costs
Non-economic damages cover your personal and more difficult-to-value losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and vehophobia
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Diminished quality of life
Sometimes, punitive damages may apply. While rare, they are awarded when a defendant’s conduct was intentional, reckless, or consciously disregarded human life. They may apply in cases where the defendant was driving under the influence when they caused the collision.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All of Your Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can cause various types of injuries, from minor scrapes to debilitating conditions.
Our St. Petersburg car accident attorneys have helped victims who have sustained all types of injuries, including but not limited to:
- Traumatic brain injuries, such as concussions and skull fractures
- Fractured and broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Injuries to the face and eyes
- Catastrophic injuries, such as paralysis
Car accidents can also be deadly. If you lost a loved one in a car accident caused by someone else, we can help you file a wrongful death claim and hold the at-fault party responsible.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Car Accident in Florida?
Driver negligence is the cause of most motor vehicle accidents. Negligence is failing to use reasonable care, thereby injuring another person.
Proving that another person negligently caused a car crash consists of the following elements:
- The driver owed you a duty of care;
- The driver breached their duty by failing to drive cautiously or follow traffic laws;
- The breach directly caused the accident; and
- You suffered damages as a result of the crash.
To prove these elements of negligence, you’ll need evidence, which may include:
- The traffic crash report
- Photos and videos of the car accident scene and your injuries
- Dash cam and surveillance footage, if available
- Medical reports and statements from your healthcare providers
- Employment records
- Eyewitness statements
- Expert witness testimony
- Physical evidence
- Statements from your friends and family regarding how your injuries have affected your everyday life
We’ll help you gather the evidence needed to prove negligence and the full extent of your damages.
What If I’m Blamed For My Car Accident in St. Petersburg?
Florida operates under a pure comparative negligence system, meaning you can still recover compensation if you’re partially responsible for causing the collision. However, your compensation will be reduced in proportion to your negligence.
For example, if the court finds you 30% at fault for the car wreck, you’ll only be able to recover 70% of your awarded damages.
Insurance companies know this rule and often use it to limit the amount of money they have to pay victims. If you’re being blamed for your accident, contact us immediately for help. We’re familiar with these strategies and know how to fight back.
How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Florida?
Car accident victims must file their lawsuit within four years of the collision under Florida’s statute of limitations. If you lost a loved one in a fatal wreck, you only have two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
Exceptions may apply in some circumstances, such as if a government agency is involved. Don’t let too much time pass before taking legal action. Evidence can be lost, and memories can fade. Reach out to us as soon as possible so that we can start building a solid claim for damages.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Attorney in Pinellas County?
Most personal injury lawyers in St. Petersburg and throughout Pinellas County work on a contingency fee basis.
When we enter into an attorney-client relationship, we will agree upon a percentage of your recovery we’ll receive if we win your case. The rate is typically between 33 to 40% of your awarded damages. You won’t owe us any attorney’s fees if we don’t secure compensation for you.
This arrangement allows you to retain an experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorney without paying any upfront costs. We’ll review our contingency fee agreement with you during your free consultation.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation With Our St. Petersburg Car Accident Lawyers
If you’ve sustained injuries in a car accident, don’t hesitate to contact our car accident lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL. We’re here to help you get the maximum compensation available. Call Winters & Yonker, P.A. today to schedule a free initial consultation and get an aggressive advocate in your corner.
St. Petersburg Car Accident Client Review
Read more of our Google reviews.
Local Auto Repair Shops
- Tire Choice Auto Service Centers – 456 Dr, Dr M.L.K. Jr St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33705
- Atlantic Auto Repair – 226 16th St N, St. Petersburg, FL 33705
- Jerry’s Automotive Services – 1637 5th Ave N, St. Petersburg, FL 33713
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated auto repair shops on Yelp.