Were you injured in an Uber accident in St. Petersburg, Florida through little to no fault of your own? If so, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, suffering, and lost wages. However, rideshare accident claims can be challenging since many insurance policies may apply.
The St. Petersburg Uber accident lawyers at Winters & Yonker, P.A. can help you navigate the insurance claims process to ensure you recover fair compensation. Our attorneys are known for our aggressive representation to obtain the maximum awards for our clients. We’ve recovered millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts since our firm was founded in 2001.
Table of Contents
How Winters & Yonker, P.A. Can Help After an Uber Accident in St. Petersburg, FL
Rideshare drivers are frequently in a hurry to complete more trips and increase their earnings – leading to collisions. If you were in an Uber accident, who is responsible? Which insurance policy applies? Are you partially at fault?
These questions may arise during the claims process, and you don’t have to deal with them alone. Our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys are here to help you get through this difficult time by handling the legal aspects while you focus on your recovery.
If you hire our experienced legal team to handle your rideshare accident case, we will:
- Investigate the crash, identify the liable parties, and determine all avenues for compensation, including insurance claims and/or a personal injury lawsuit
- Build a strong case using the evidence we gather during our investigation of your collision
- Handle all filings, documentation, and communications on your behalf
- Fiercely negotiate as we attempt to reach the maximum settlement possible
- File a lawsuit on your behalf and represent you in a Pinellas County courthouse if necessary
Car accidents are traumatic events, but some cause more stress due to the parties involved – including Uber or Lyft drivers. We can take some of your stress away if you decide to begin an attorney-client relationship and retain our legal services. Reach out for a free case evaluation.
How Common Are Uber Accidents in Florida?
Florida combines Uber and Lyft accidents with typical motor vehicle crashes, so it’s difficult to find state-specific data.
Uber’s most recent US Safety Report states that between 2019 and 2020, 91 fatal Uber-related collisions caused 101 deaths. According to the rideshare company, Uber’s fatality rate is approximately half of the nation’s average.
Unfortunately, the safety report only outlines Uber-related fatalities. It doesn’t include injuries that resulted from Uber-related accidents, which is likely a much higher number.
What Is My St. Petersburg Uber Accident Case Worth?
Your Uber accident claim’s value will depend on facts that are unique to you and the circumstances of the collision. The more severe your injuries, the more money you’ll typically be able to recover.
Other than the severity of your injuries, the following factors will affect the value of your St. Petersburg Uber accident claim:
- How your injuries affect your quality of life and ability to earn a living
- The parties involved and the available insurance coverage
- Your medical expenses, lost wages, and out-of-pocket costs
- The pain, suffering, inconvenience, and mental anguish you suffer due to the Uber accident
- Whether you sustained a permanent impairment or disability from the accident
- Whether you share fault for the cause of the Uber wreck
Other factors may impact what your Uber accident case is worth. Our rideshare accident lawyers in St. Petersburg will help you value your damages and seek an amount that fully compensates you.
How Will Uber’s Insurance Impact My Accident Claim?
The applicable insurance depends on the Uber driver’s status at the time of the accident, as explained below:
The Uber Driver Had the App On and Was Awaiting a Ride Request
If the Uber driver had the app turned on and was waiting for a ride request, the following insurance may apply:
- $50,000 in bodily injury liability per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury liability per accident
- $25,000 in property damage liability per accident
This coverage will only kick in if another policy (e.g., your PIP insurance or the Uber driver’s personal insurance policy) doesn’t cover the collision.
The Uber Driver Was Picking Up or Transporting a Rider
If the Uber driver was on the way to pick up a rider or transporting a passenger, Uber’s $1 million third-party liability insurance coverage may apply. This insurance applies from the time the driver accepts a ride request to the time they end the ride in the app.
The Uber Driver Was Offline
If the driver wasn’t logged into the Uber app during the collision, the accident is treated like any other auto accident in Florida.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Uber Accident Victims in St. Petersburg, Florida?
St. Petersburg Uber accident victims can seek compensation for their compensatory damages, including financial and hard-to-value personal losses.
Economic damages after a rideshare accident may include:
- Medical costs, including ER, doctor’s visits, and surgeries
- Future healthcare expenses, such as ongoing rehabilitation
- Out-of-pocket expenses, like transportation fees
- Lost wages and diminished earning capacity
Non-economic damages after an Uber accident include but are not limited to:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Scarring or disfigurement
- Lost enjoyment of life
If the Uber driver was, for example, intoxicated when they caused the car accident, punitive damages might be available in your case to punish them for their grossly negligent behavior.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for an Uber Accident in Florida?
As long as you’re not 100% responsible for the Uber collision, you can recover damages under Florida’s pure comparative negligence statute. Your awarded compensation will be reduced in proportion to your level of fault.
For example, if you’re 40% responsible for the Uber accident, you can only take home 60% of your settlement or verdict. This law incentivizes insurance companies and opposing parties to blame you to reduce their financial liability. If you’re being blamed for an Uber accident, contact our car accident attorneys in St. Petersburg for assistance.
Our Attorneys Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Uber Accident Injuries
Uber accidents can cause all types of injuries, ranging from minor scrapes and bruises to catastrophic injuries and wrongful death.
Our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers have helped clients who have sustained all types of injuries after rideshare accidents, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries, such as whiplash
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Amputations and loss of limbs
- Eye injuries and other facial injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Spinal cord damage
Contact Winters & Yonker, P.A. for a free initial consultation to discuss your injuries, emotional trauma, and the compensation you may be able to seek.
What Causes Most Uber Accidents in St. Petersburg?
Uber accidents – like other car accidents – are typically caused by driver error or negligence. Even though Lyft and Uber require their drivers to undergo screenings of their criminal background and driving record, they don’t require any special driving courses. Accordingly, Uber drivers are similar to other motorists sharing the Florida roadways.
Some common causes of St. Petersburg Uber accidents are:
- Distracted driving, such as if the Uber driver is checking their GPS or talking to a passenger
- Unfamiliarity with an area
- Speeding to get to a destination quicker
- Unsafe loading and unloading of riders, such as stopping in the middle of a road to drop off a passenger
- Aggressive driving and road rage
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe passing or lane changes
- Driver fatigue
- Poor vehicle maintenance
- Defective car parts
Adverse weather conditions and road defects can also contribute to wrecks. We’ll investigate the accident to determine how it happened.
Who Is Liable for an Uber Accident in St. Petersburg?
Uber drivers in Florida are independent contractors, meaning you typically cannot sue Uber for damages. However, Uber’s commercial insurance policy may apply if their driver was using the app during the accident.
The following parties could be liable for your Uber accident in St. Petersburg:
- The Uber driver
- An Uber passenger
- Other negligent motorists
- Pedestrians or bicyclists
- Manufacturers of defective auto parts
- Government entities
- Employers of negligent employees involved in the collision
Our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys will investigate the accident to determine every party that may share responsibility for your losses.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After an Uber Accident in Florida?
Florida Uber accident victims have limited time to file a personal injury lawsuit due to the statute of limitations. You typically have four years from the Uber accident date to file a personal injury case (or two years from your loved one’s date of death to file a wrongful death action).
If you miss the applicable statutory deadline, you’ll lose your right to hold the Uber driver or other responsible party accountable for your damages. Contact our Uber accident attorneys in St. Petersburg to learn more and preserve your legal rights.
Contact Our St. Petersburg Uber Accident Lawyers for a Free Consultation
If you were hurt in an Uber accident in St. Petersburg, FL, don’t try to handle your claim on your own. Contact Winters & Yonker, P.A. for immediate assistance so that we can start fighting for you.
Our St. Petersburg Uber accident lawyers will advocate for you and negotiate with insurance companies and other involved parties on your behalf. Contact us today for a free consultation to get started.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL