Did you or a family member sustain injuries in a work-related accident in St. Petersburg, FL? An experienced St. Petersburg workplace accident lawyer at Winters & Yonker, P.A. can help you recover the maximum compensation possible to cover medical bills, lost wages, and more. You may be entitled to compensation above and beyond what workers’ compensation covers.
Collectively, our lawyers have over 119 years of experience. We’ve helped countless clients like you recover the money they need to get back on their feet again after an accident.
The laws governing workplace accidents are complicated. To learn more about how a lawyer can help with your case, call our law office in St. Petersburg, Florida at (727) 314-5988 to schedule a free consultation today.
Table of Contents
How Winters & Yonker, P.A. Can Help After a Workplace Accident in St. Petersburg
Florida workers’ compensation laws are designed to protect workers who are injured on the job. Unfortunately, the same laws that are meant to protect you can also be extremely complex. That can make it difficult to know whether you’re getting the fair compensation you deserve.
Our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers have decades of experience protecting injured workers. We can protect you if the workers’ compensation insurance company denies your claim or if you suspect you aren’t getting the full amount you deserve. We’re also here to determine whether you have a valid personal injury case.
Some of the ways our legal team at Winters & Yonker, P.A. can help with your case include:
- Conducting a comprehensive investigation into the accident
- Gathering and analyzing all available evidence
- Finding out who is legally responsible for your damages
- Assessing your case value
- Filing your workers’ comp claim and handling any workers’ compensation appeals
- Negotiating with the insurance companies to maximize your settlement offer
We’re here to protect your best interests when you need help the most. You can create an attorney-client relationship today by calling our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys for a free case review.
How Common Are Workplace Accidents in St. Petersburg?
2.7 million non-fatal workplace injuries and illnesses were reported to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) across the United States in 2020. Unfortunately, 4,764 fatal workplace accidents were also reported. 275 of those fatal work accidents happened in the state of Florida.
Our lawyers at Winters & Yonker, P.A. handle all types of work accident claims here in St. Petersburg, including those involving:
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Scaffolding accidents
- Falls from heights
- Slip and fall accidents
- Accidents involving heavy machinery
- Truck accidents
- Building collapse
- Construction accidents
- Fishing boat accidents
- Agricultural accidents
- Electrocution or electric shock
- Fires and explosions
- Welding accidents
- Industrial accidents
- Manufacturing accidents
Do you have questions about your legal options after a workplace injury? Contact our lawyers in St. Petersburg to get the legal advice you deserve today.
What Is My St. Petersburg Workplace Accident Case Worth?
The cost of a serious injury can be much more than you expect. It’s important to make sure you’re getting every dollar you deserve if you were injured on the job.
The value of your work injury case depends on many different factors. Nearly every employee in Florida is entitled to claim workers’ compensation if they’re hurt while working.
The value of your workers’ compensation claim depends on:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The length of your recovery time
- Your average weekly wages prior to the disability
- Whether or not your disability prevents you from working entirely during recovery
If you visit an approved doctor and follow the procedural rules, workers’ comp will cover all of your medical bills. However, the amount of workers’ compensation disability benefits that you’ll receive is limited by state law. Even if your disability prevents you from working in any capacity, Florida state law limits the amount of your weekly benefit to $1,099 in 2022.
Can I Recover Damages Under Florida Personal Injury Laws?
Some injured workers are entitled to compensation above and beyond what workers’ compensation provides. You may be entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit against the person responsible for your injuries.
For example, you may have a valid claim against a:
- Negligent driver in a car accident
- Property owner who failed to maintain their premises
- General contractor or subcontractor
- Engineer or architect
- Manufacturer of defective products or equipment
You’re only prevented from suing your employer for damages under state workers’ compensation laws. Third parties aren’t entitled to similar protections.
If you have a valid personal injury claim, your case value will depend on many different factors. In addition to your financial costs, factors such as your emotional stress, physical pain, and lifestyle changes are also factored into the calculation.
What Types of Damages Are Available To Workplace Accident Victims in St. Petersburg?
Workers’ compensation covers most of the financial costs associated with a work accident.
Your benefits may include:
- All reasonable and necessary medical expenses, including ER visits, hospitalization, follow-up visits, and medications
- Temporary disability benefits
- Permanent disability benefits
- Impairment benefits
- Death benefits in fatal accident cases, including funeral expenses
Personal injury laws in Florida allow victims to seek compensation for:
- Medical care and rehabilitation not covered under workers’ comp
- The full amount of your lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Loss of consortium
If the at-fault party’s acts were particularly shocking, you may also be entitled to punitive damages to punish the defendant for their actions. While these damages are rarely awarded, they can significantly increase your compensation award.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Workplace Accident Injuries
Workplace injuries come in all shapes and sizes. Some are relatively minor. Others are so severe that they can change your life forever.
At Winters & Yonker, P.A., we handle all types of workplace injury claims in St. Petersburg, including those involving:
- Back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord damage
- Head and neck injuries
- Eye injuries
- Hearing loss
- Musculoskeletal injuries
- Internal injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Recovery can be a long and difficult process. Our St. Petersburg workplace accident attorneys are here to help with every aspect of your case. Let us handle the fight to recover fair compensation while you rest and recover.
What Causes Most Workplace Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Most accidents happen because someone was careless. While you don’t have to establish the cause of your accident to file a claim for workers’ comp, you will have to prove causation to recover damages in a personal injury lawsuit.
Some of the most common causes of work-related injuries include:
- Failure to follow state and federal OSHA safety regulations
- Failure to provide proper safety equipment
- Failure to provide fall protection
- Improperly maintained premises
- Scaffolding that is not installed properly
- Communication failures
- Unqualified or inexperienced workers
- Dangerous work equipment
- Exposure to live electrical wires
- Physical strain and repetitive motions
- Being crushed between two objects
- Exposure to toxic substances
- Negligent hiring practices or failure to properly train and supervise employees
- Assault or sexual assault in the workplace
Because accidents happen quickly, you may not fully understand what caused the accident. Our St. Petersburg workers’ compensation lawyers will conduct an investigation and gather the evidence you need to prove your case. Just call our law firm today so that we can get started.
Am I Required To Prove Negligence To Recover Damages After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
Negligence is the legal theory involved in most personal injury claims. You won’t have to prove negligence to receive workers’ compensation benefits because workers’ comp is a no-fault system. However, to recover damages from a negligent third party, you will have to establish fault.
A successful negligence claim requires proof of:
- The defendant’s legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- The damages you’ve suffered
Every case is different. Our lawyers will conduct our own investigation to find out what happened and who was responsible. To learn more about our legal services, call for a free consultation today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
Injured workers who are entitled to file a personal injury lawsuit have four years to take legal action. After four years pass, you lose the right to sue the responsible party for damages.
You must notify your supervisor about your injury within 30 days of the accident. However, to protect your right to full workers’ compensation benefits, you should notify your supervisor as soon as possible.
Contact a St. Petersburg Workplace Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Recovering fair compensation after an accident can be an uphill battle. If you’re injured, you have enough to worry about as it is. Let an experienced St. Petersburg workplace accident lawyer at Winters & Yonker, P.A. handle the legal aspects of your case. You can call us anytime to schedule a free initial consultation and get started.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Brain Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL