Car color can determine the visibility of your vehicle to other drivers, however, it’s not the largest role in whether you crash your car. Weather and light conditions, driver behavior, and road conditions will likely affect your risk of a car accident more than car color.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Car Accident in Tampa, FL
Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers is a team of aggressive attorneys. The firm was founded in 2001, and its Tampa car accident attorneys have over a century of combined experience representing accident victims. The firm has recovered millions of dollars in injury compensation for clients throughout Florida.
If you hire our Tampa car accident lawyers to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the collision to identify who is liable
- Calculate the value of your damages, including medical bills and lost wages.
- Negotiate with insurance companies and others for the best possible settlement
- Represent you in court if we fail to secure a favorable settlement for you
After a car accident in Tampa, FL, you could easily exceed your no-fault policy limits and require additional compensation to cover your losses. Contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation to discuss your injuries and what you can seek for them. We will answer all questions you may have.
How Often Are Car Crashes Affected by Color?
Florida had over 341,000 traffic accidents in 2020, according to the Florida Crash Facts report. But not all these accidents were influenced by car color.
The overwhelming majority of Florida car accidents happened in clear and sunny conditions when car color would play no role in the crash risk.
But 25% of accidents happened in low visibility conditions such as:
- Blowing sand or mist
Similarly, 24% of Florida car accidents happened during low light conditions. These conditions happened roughly between the hours of 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., although this might vary depending on the time of year.
Unfortunately, Florida’s Crash Facts report does not identify how much these conditions overlapped in 2020. At best, these statistics show that at least 25% of accidents could have been influenced by car color due to poor visibility.
Overview of Car Color and Crash Risk
Studies from two different universities show that some car colors have a statistically significant effect on crash risk. Both studies used white as the standard against which the other colors were measured.
Significantly, some colors increase crash risk compared to white, and some decrease it. But the studies disagreed on which colors affected crash risk, and they gave conflicting results about the effects.
Monash University Study
Monash University is located in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. In this study from 2007, the university’s Accident Research Centre reviewed police crash reports from across Australia.
A statistical analysis of the results found that some colors only had a weak influence on crash risk. These colors included:
But blue, green, gray, red, and silver increased the risk of a crash, according to the Monash University study.
University of Auckland Study
The University of Auckland, located in New Zealand, conducted a similar analysis of police crash reports. These reports, from 1998 and 1999, gave almost the opposite results as the Monash University study.
This study showed that blue, red, and yellow did not affect crash risk. But the remaining colors did affect the likelihood of a car accident. Gray and silver significantly reduced crash risk, while black, green, and brown increased crash risk.
The two studies agreed on the effect of green, but they disagreed on black and brown, with the Monash study indicating that black and brown did not affect crashes.
Liability for Color-Related Crashes
The color of your car does not excuse drivers who hit it. In other words, a driver cannot raise a defense to an injury claim by saying that your car color was difficult to see.
Drivers must always exercise reasonable care when driving regardless of the color of the other cars. Even if the visibility or lighting is poor, drivers must still meet the standard of a reasonably prudent driver.
Instead of focusing on the color of the cars, you must look at the driver’s behavior: Did the driver do something unreasonably hazardous that resulted in your injuries?
Examples of unreasonably dangerous acts may include:
- Driving under the influence
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Making an unsafe lane change
- Distracted driving
If you were injured in a car accident, first seek compensation from your no-fault insurer. If you exceed your policy limits or suffer a significant permanent injury, you can seek compensation from the at-fault driver by filing an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Tampa Car Accident Attorneys
Regardless of the color of your vehicle, you can seek compensation for injuries from preventable crashes. To discuss the compensation you can seek for your car accident injuries, contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers for a free consultation.
Our team handles all auto accidents, including:
- Head-on crashes
- Highway crashes
- Hit & run accidents
- Intersection crashes
- Left-turn accidents
- Multi-vehicle car crashes
- Parking lot accidents
- Rear-end crashes
- Recreational vehicle accidents
- Red and yellow light accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Single-vehicle accidents
Additional Car Accident Resources
- Car color & crash risk
- Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections
- Florida car inspection laws
- Florida child car seat laws
- Passenger negligence
- Road defects
- Airbag injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Tampa car accident frequently asked questions
- What to do after a car accident in Tampa
- Can I be compensated for pre-existing conditions after a Tampa car accident?
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa, FL, also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Tampa
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Tampa
- Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Dog Bites Attorneys in Tampa
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Premises Liability Attorney in Tampa
- Product Liability Lawyers in Tampa
- Slip and Fall Lawyer in Tampa
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Tampa
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Tampa
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Tampa