Were you injured in an electric scooter accident in Tampa, FL? If you were injured because someone else was careless, you may deserve financial compensation. An experienced Tampa electric scooter accident lawyer at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and even pain and suffering.
Collectively, our lawyers have over 119 years of experience in personal injury law and we have the results to back it up. We’re dedicated to helping our clients recover meaningful compensation so they can get back on their feet again.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After an Electric Scooter Accident in Tampa
Scooter rental companies have started to pop up across the Tampa Bay area and in other major U.S. cities. Electric scooters offer users a convenient and fun way to get around town. Users are able to access e-scooters via an app on their smartphones. However, that doesn’t mean that e-scooters are always safe.
E-scooter accidents can result in hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of medical bills. In severe accident cases, your life may change forever. If someone else was responsible, you have the right to seek compensation for your losses.
An experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can protect your right to compensation. We’ve been fighting for accident victims like you since we opened our doors back in 2001.
When you hire us, you’ll have a legal team to:
- Gather and analyze proof to support your case
- Determine who is liable for your damages
- Handle all communications with the insurance companies and at-fault parties
- Hire experts who can testify on your behalf
- Find out how much your accident claim is really worth
- Negotiate with the insurer to reach a fair settlement
- Represent you at trial if necessary
The legal system isn’t always fair. An experienced Tampa personal injury attorney can stand by your side and protect you. If you were injured in a scooter accident in Tampa, call today to learn more.
How Common Are Electric Scooter Accidents in Tampa?
According to research by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 50,000 electric scooter accident victims visited emergency rooms with injuries between 2017 and 2019.
Electric scooter companies like HOPR, Bird, Lime, and Spin have been offering e-scooter rentals in the city of Tampa for years now. Thousands of people have taken electric scooter rides since Tampa’s e-scooter shared rental program was launched.
According to one study, e-scooter rentals allow users to save both time and money. Still, that study also found that hospital visits have been on the rise since the e-scooter rental program was launched in Tampa.
What Is My Tampa Electric Scooter Accident Case Worth?
Most injured parties want to know how much their personal injury case is worth before taking legal action. Many different variables must be evaluated in determining how much your case is worth.
Factors that are typically relevant in assessing your case value include:
- The severity of your injuries
- The duration of your recovery
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Whether your doctor expects you to recover fully
- Whether the injury impacts your ability to work, now or in the future
- The circumstances of the accident and whether you share any fault
- How the injury impacts your quality of life and lifestyle
Assigning a dollar value to intangible losses can be particularly difficult. Fortunately, our Tampa scooter accident lawyers have decades of experience handling cases like yours. We’d be more than happy to review your case and help you understand how much compensation you might recover. Just call our law firm to schedule a free case review today.
What Compensation Is Available To Electric Scooter Accident Victims in Florida?
Examples of the specific types of damages accident victims often sustain include:
- Current medical expenses
- Future medical care
- Lost wages during recovery
- Lost future earning potential
- Property damage
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
- Damages for wrongful death in fatal e-scooter accident cases
The exact damages you may recover will depend on the nature of your accident and injuries. To learn more about how we can help you fight to recover the money you need and deserve, call for a free initial consultation today.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Partially At Fault for an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
Florida has adopted modified comparative fault laws. In the state of Florida, accident victims can recover partial compensation if they were partly to blame for causing their own injuries. However, you cannot recover any money if you are mostly to blame.
So, if you were found to be 50% responsible for the accident, you can take home half of your compensation. If you were 51% responsible, you leave empty-handed.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Electric Scooter Accident Injuries
Most electric scooter accident victims suffer only mild injuries. Still, a car accident involving an electric scooter can cause life-changing injuries. Like bicyclists, e-scooter riders have almost nothing to protect them in a crash–especially if they aren’t wearing a helmet.
At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, our Tampa electric scooter accident attorneys often represent clients who have sustained:
- Head injuries and concussions
- Neck injuries
- Broken bonesBroken Bones
- Strains and sprains
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Facial injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Road rash
- Catastrophic injuries
Electric scooter accidents also have the potential to be fatal. If you lost a loved one in a fatal e-scooter accident, our lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for the wrongful death of your loved one.
What Causes Most Electric Scooter Accidents in Tampa, Florida?
Electric scooters are still relatively new to the area. However, many of the factors that play a role in causing bicycle accidents and other motor vehicle accidents also tend to contribute to electric scooter accidents.
Some of the most common causes of electric scooter accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Riding the e-scooter on the sidewalk
- Weaving between pedestrians
- Lack of dedicated infrastructure, such as bike lanes, for scooter riders
- Parking e-scooters in dangerous places where pedestrians might slip and fall
- Riding double on the scooter
- Riding in prohibited areas
- Inexperienced e-scooter riders
- Passing too closely
- Dangerous left-hand turns
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Riding the e-scooter under the influence of drugs
- Potholes, crumbling pavement, and other road hazards
Some e-scooter accidents happen because of defects in the scooter itself. Power surges, defective batteries, and worn tires can all lead to an accident. If you were injured because the scooter rental company failed to maintain the scooter in a safe condition, the company may be liable for damages.
How Do I Prove Negligence After an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
Many scooter accidents occur due to operator error. Others happen because drivers are careless. In other words, these accidents tend to happen because someone was negligent.
To prove negligence, you must prove:
- The responsible party owed you a legal duty of care
- A breach of duty occurred
- The breach is what caused your accident
- You suffered damages
Our lawyers can help you search to find evidence that can support each of these elements. All drivers and e-scooter riders owe others a duty to drive carefully.
We’ll work to prove that a breach of that duty caused your accident and injuries by searching for:
- Eyewitnesses who can testify about what they saw happen
- Video surveillance footage from businesses, traffic lights, and dashcams
- Police and accident reports
- Information about the crash site
- Evidence from the crash scene
- Information about the rental company’s maintenance history
- Your medical records and your doctor’s opinions
Alternatively, you may have a strict liability claim against the manufacturer of a defective scooter if that’s what caused your accident.
We know how to locate strong evidence to prove your case. To learn more about how we can help you fight for the maximum compensation you deserve, call Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free consultation today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After an Electric Scooter Accident in Florida?
In Florida, the statute of limitations is usually two years in personal injury cases. You must file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the date the accident occurred. Otherwise, you simply lose your right to seek compensation for your injuries.
Note: You may have longer to file depending on when the accident occurred. Therefore, you should contact an injury lawyer to discuss your claim.
Contact a Tampa Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Did you suffer injuries in an accident involving an electric scooter in Tampa? Contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about your legal options today. An experienced Tampa electric scooter accident lawyer can help you fight to recover the full compensation you need and deserve while you recover.