If you were injured on the job in Tampa, Florida, you may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits to cover your medical costs and a portion of your lost wages. Depending on the circumstances, you may also be able to file a personal injury claim and seek damages for the full extent of your losses.
The Tampa workplace accident lawyers at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help you identify all avenues for compensation for your work-related injuries or illness. We have over 119 years of combined experience helping victims recover benefits, settlements, and verdicts after accidents in Florida.
Call us at (813) 223-6200 or contact our Tampa, FL law office online today to schedule a free case evaluation with an experienced attorney. We’ll discuss your accident, the injuries you suffered, and the compensation you can seek.
Our personal injury law firm can help you if you’ve been through any kind of accident related to slip & falls in Tampa, commercial vehicle accidents, wrongful death cases in Tampa, FL, airplane accidents, and more.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Workplace Accident in Tampa, FL
Whether you file a workers’ compensation claim or personal injury case (or both), you’ll likely have an uphill battle obtaining the money you need. Having an experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer on your side will be an asset when you’re dealing with insurance companies that want to pay as little as possible.
Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers has a team of knowledgable injury lawyers who know how to fight for accident victims and obtain the best possible results in their cases. We have decades of combined legal experience to put behind your case, and we’ve won millions of dollars for Floridians who have sustained injuries.
When you hire our aggressive legal team to fight for you, you can expect us to:
- Help you identify all avenues for compensation, including a workers’ compensation claim, third-party personal injury lawsuit, or both
- Value your damages and help you recover the maximum amount possible
- Negotiate on your behalf throughout the life of your case and advocate for your legal rights
- Handle your case from start to finish, keeping you updated at all times
- Take your workplace accident case to court if it’s in your best interest
Workers’ compensation and personal injury are complex areas of law. Benefit from our knowledge, skills, and experience by getting our Tampa personal injury attorneys in your corner. We offer a free case evaluation and work pursuant to a contingency fee agreement, meaning you owe nothing unless we secure a favorable outcome for you.
How Common Are Workplace Accidents in Florida?
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported 275 fatal occupational injuries in Florida in 2020. Transportation incidents caused nearly 33% of them, 28% were slip and fall accidents, and 14% resulted from workplace violence.
Out of the 275 fatal injuries reported:
- 82 occurred in the private construction industry
- 60 occurred in the transportation and material moving occupations
- 44 occurred in the private transportation and warehousing industries
These are only the statistics for fatal work-related accidents. Thousands more workers are injured each year in workplace incidents.
What Is My Tampa Workplace Accident Case Worth?
The value of your case will depend on whether you file a workers’ compensation claim, a personal injury claim, or both.
Workers’ compensation benefits only compensate you for medical expenses, a portion of your lost wages, and disability benefits if applicable. The amount you receive will depend on your pre-injury wages, recovery time, and the cost of your medical expenses.
If you can file a personal injury case, you’ll be entitled to all your lost wages, future losses, and non-economic damages like pain and suffering.
The value of your personal injury claim will depend on:
- The severity of your workplace injuries
- How your injuries affect your quality of life, including everyday activities and ability to work
- The amount of medical expenses and lost wages you incurred
- Your pain, suffering, and emotional trauma experienced due to your accident and injuries
- Whether you’ve suffered a permanent disability or impairment
- Whether you share responsibility for causing the accident
Our workplace injury lawyers in Tampa will help you value your losses as we work towards recovering the maximum compensation for you.
What Compensation Is Available To Workplace Accident Victims in Florida?
Most employers (with limited exceptions) conducting business in the State of Florida must carry workers’ compensation insurance for their employees. If you were injured on the job and your employer has the required coverage, you can file a workers’ compensation for benefits.
However, if your employer doesn’t have workers’ comp or a third party is liable for your injuries, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit, which will entitle you to more types of compensation than workers’ comp.
Workers’ Compensation Benefits
Injured workers may receive workers’ compensation benefits to cover:
- Necessary and reasonable medical expenses, including treatment and prescriptions
- Lost wages covering two-thirds of your average weekly wages
- Temporary Total Disability, Temporary Partial Disability, or both payments
You may also be entitled to vocational counseling, job placement, and other reemployment-related services if you cannot return to the type of work you did pre-injury.
Personal Injury Damages
If you’re able to file a personal injury claim, you’ll have access to more types of compensation.
You can recover money for your economic damages, including:
- Your past and future medical bills, including ongoing physical therapy or rehab
- The full value of your lost wages
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Out-of-pocket expenses
You can also request non-economic damages for things like:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Impairment or disability
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Diminished quality of life
We’ll help you identify all avenues for compensation so that you receive the maximum amount possible after your workplace accident.
What Causes Most Workplace Accidents?
Any workplace can pose an accident risk, from offices to construction sites.
Therefore, a worker can be injured in all types of ways, including:
- Slip and fall accidents
- Trip and fall accidents
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Being struck by objects
- Being caught in or between objects
- Defective work equipment
- Exposure to toxic chemicals or substances
Negligence is typically the underlying factor in most work-related incidents, including:
- Failure to train or supervise
- Communication issues
- Failing to have proper safety equipment on site
- Failure to maintain or inspect machinery or equipment
- Failure to maintain the work premises in a reasonably safe condition
- Defective equipment or machinery
When we start working on your case, we’ll gather evidence to determine how your accident happened and whether a third party may share liability. Contact our workplace injury attorneys in Tampa to discuss your situation.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Tampa Workplace Accident Injuries
Workplace-related injuries can significantly vary depending on the industry and job duties.
The Tampa workplace accident attorneys at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers have helped workers who have sustained all types of injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Repetitive stress injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Nerve damage
- Illnesses from exposure to toxic substances
- Eye injuries
- Hearing loss
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death
Contact our Tampa workplace accident attorneys to discuss your injuries and the compensation you may be able to receive for them.
Do I Have To Prove Negligence To Recover Compensation for a Work-Related Injury in Florida?
Workers’ compensation is a no-fault system, meaning you don’t have to prove negligence to recover benefits after an accident.
However, if you file a personal injury claim, you must typically prove that the at-fault party was negligent by showing:
- They owed you a duty of care;
- They breached the duty of care;
- Their breach directly caused your injuries; and
- You sustained damages as a result.
You must gather evidence – including medical records, photos and videos of the accident scene, eyewitness statements, and expert witness testimony – to prove the elements of your case.
How Long Do I Have To File a Claim After a Workplace Accident in Florida?
If you’re filing a claim for workers’ compensation benefits, you must report the accident to your employer within 30 days after your workplace accident. Otherwise, your claim may be denied. You have two years from the accident date to file a petition for benefits.
If you’re filing a Florida personal injury lawsuit, you’ll typically have four years to file (or two years to file a wrongful death lawsuit if you lost a loved one in a work-related accident).
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Tampa Workplace Accident Lawyers
Did you sustain work-related injuries or an illness in Tampa, FL? If so, you could be entitled to workers’ compensation or damages in a personal injury claim. The Tampa workplace accident lawyers at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help you pursue the money you need to get back on your feet.
Let us put our 119 years of combined experience to work for you by scheduling a free consultation to discuss your case.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa, FL, also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Tampa
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Tampa
- Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Tampa
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Dog Bites Attorneys in Tampa
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Premises Liability Attorney in Tampa
- Product Liability Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyer in Tampa
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Tampa
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Tampa