Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a car accident in Tampa, FL? You might be entitled to compensation to cover your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. The Tampa car accident lawyers at Winters & Yonker, P.A. can provide the representation you need. Call us today at (813) 223-6200 for a free consultation.
Known as “The Aggressive Attorneys,” our legal team has recovered millions for accident victims and families in Tampa Bay. Contact us today to get started with your case. We work on contingency; you pay nothing unless we recover a settlement or verdict in your favor.
Table of Contents
How Winters & Yonker, P.A. Can Help After a Car Accident in Tampa, FL?
You have a lot to deal with after a car accident. You may not feel like you have the strength and energy to pursue a car accident claim, especially if the insurer is offering you quick money to settle your case. You deserve an experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer to help you with your claim.
Winters & Yonker, P.A. has 120 years of combined experience in personal injury law. We have handled countless car accident claims and helped our clients get the fair compensation they deserve; we’ve recovered millions for injury victims in Tampa Bay.
When you hire us, you will get a Tampa, Florida, legal team that will:
- Explain all of your options for recovering compensation under insurance and personal injury laws.
- Investigate your accident to gather evidence of the other driver’s fault
- Obtain accident reports and copies of citations related to the accident
- Calculate the value of your damages
- Work with experts in accident reconstruction, medicine, and finance to strengthen your claim
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the other side
- Bring your case to court in pursuit of fair compensation
Don’t go it alone after your crash. Contact Winters & Yonker, P.A. to schedule your free case review to discuss your accident.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Tampa, FL?
Hillsborough County has over 28,000 motor vehicle accidents in 2021. A majority of these were in the Tampa area. These collisions caused 18,691 injuries. Over 270 people died from their crash injuries.
Preliminary data shows there have been over 17,300 crashes in Hillsborough County as of August 2022, resulting in 122 fatalities and 11,643 injuries.
These figures don’t even begin to account for crashes in Pinellas County, Pasco County, and the rest of Tampa Bay
What is My Car Accident Case Worth?
It would be ill-advised to guess at your case’s value without knowing all the facts. Your accident and injuries are unique. Your damages and case value will be, too.
A few factors tend to have the biggest influence on your claim’s worth:
- The cost of your medical bills (past and future)
- The extent of your lost wages
- Whether your earning capacity is diminished
- The pain and suffering you endured after the accident
- Whether you share fault for the crash
- Available insurance coverages
- The strength of your evidence
The best way to figure out the value of your claim is to contact an experienced car accident lawyer in Tampa. Our legal team at Winters & Yonker, P.A. can identify and calculate each of your damages to get a sense of your case’s value. We can even bring in economic and financial experts to help us value your losses, if necessary.
What Kind of Damages Are Available to Car Crash Victims?
Florida crash victims are typically entitled to two forms of damages after a car accident: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages cover financial losses and other expenses that can be proven with documentation. Some examples include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy costs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
Non-economic damages cover personal, non-monetary losses that are harder to value with bills and receipts. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
The damages available in your case may largely depend on what insurance coverages are available for your claim.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Car Accident in Florida?
You can recover damages so long as you are not completely at fault for your accident. Florida has pure comparative fault laws. These rules require courts and juries to reduce your damages according to your percentage of fault for the crash.
For example, if you have $100,000 in damages but are 50% at fault, you can only recover 50% of your damages ($50,000).
However, insurers are quick to use these rules to try to diminish the compensation they owe you. You should not be surprised if they try to blame you for the car accident. You should contact a car accident attorney in Tampa to help you defend allegations of comparative fault.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All Of Your Car Accident Injuries
Car accidents can produce a range of injuries, from minor bruises and scrapes to brain injuries and paralysis. The attorneys at Winters & Yonker, P.A. have experience recovering compensation for all types of car injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Chest injuries
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death
You deserve compensation if another driver caused your accident and injuries. Our law office can help you get the money you deserve. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
What Causes Most Car Accidents in Tampa?
Car accidents have many different causes. The most common cause of accidents in Florida are:
- Distracted driving (approximately 130,000 crashes in 2020 in Florida)
- Drunk driving (more than 4,500 crashes in 2020)
- Drowsy and sick driving (over 13,500 accidents in 2020)
- Speeding (contributed to 137 fatal crashes in 2020)
- Following too closely (caused around 13,000 injuries in 2020)
- Car and part defects
- Road defects and conditions
You might have more than one contributing cause in your accident. Our lawyers can help you determine each cause and responsible party in your crash. Call now for help.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Car Crash in Florida?
Most car accident claims are based on negligence. Negligence means that a person failed to exercise reasonable care and injured another person.
Negligence requires proof of four elements:
- Duty – You will have to show the at-fault driver owed you a duty of care. All drivers owe a duty to other road users to drive safely and follow traffic laws.
- Breach of duty – You will have to show the defendant violated their duty of care. You must show that they failed to act like a “reasonable person.” For example, the at-fault driver might have breached their duty by following too closely or speeding before the accident.
- Causation – You will have to prove that an at-fault driver caused your accident. You must provide evidence showing the accident wouldn’t have happened had it not been for the defendant’s conduct. You must also show your injuries were foreseeable.
- Damages – You must show you suffered damages as a result of the accident.
You must prove each element to win your car accident case. Your Tampa car accident lawyer will help you establish these elements with different types of evidence, including accident reports, medical records, and eye witness and expert testimony. Contact Winters & Yonker, P.A. today for help proving your negligence claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Florida?
You’ll be subject to strict deadlines when filing any claims and lawsuits related to your car accident. Florida gives accident victims four years (in most cases) to file a claim after a car wreck. Wrongful death claims are subject to a shorter, two-year time limit.
The clock will typically start running on the date of your accident. If you fail to file your claim by the deadline, you will be barred from recovering compensation in court. A Tampa injury attorney can help you determine the correct statute of limitations in your claim.
Contact Our Tampa Car Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
You deserve to rest and recover after your car accident in Tampa. Unfortunately, aggressive insurers, pesky medical bills, and lost income make that difficult. You deserve a Tampa car accident lawyer who can stand up for you and make life difficult for the other side if they treat you unfairly.
Winters & Yonker, P.A. are “The Aggressive Attorneys,” and we’ll use our skills, experience, and aggressive advocacy to help you get the compensation you deserve after your crash. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
Tampa Car Accident Client Review
Read more of our Google reviews.
Local Auto Repair Shops Near You
- Paul’s Auto & Collision – 1205 E Jackson St, Tampa, FL 33602
- Castillos Tampa Bay Auto Repair – 1111 E Cass St, Tampa, FL 33602
- A & D Automotive Center – 1127 E Twiggs St, Tampa, FL 33602
- Tires Plus – 1010 W Kennedy Blvd, Tampa, FL 33606
- Olin Mott Tire Stores – 2009 W Kennedy Blvd, Tampa, FL 33606
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated auto repair shops on Yelp.