Tampa Car Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a car accident in Tampa, FL? You might be entitled to compensation to cover your medical bills, lost income, and pain and suffering. The Tampa car accident lawyers at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can provide the representation you need. Call us today at (813) 223-6200 for a free consultation.
Known as “The Aggressive Attorneys,” our legal team has recovered millions for accident victims and families in Tampa Bay.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Car Accident in Tampa, FL
You have a lot to deal with after a car accident. You may not feel like you have the strength and energy to pursue a car accident claim, especially if the insurer is offering you quick money to settle your case. You deserve an experienced Tampa personal injury lawyer to help you with your case.
Winters & Yonker has 120 years of combined experience in personal injury law. We have handled countless car accident claims and helped injury victims in the Tampa Bay community get the fair compensation they deserve.
Hiring our law firm means that you will get a Florida legal team that will:
- Explain all of your options for getting compensation under insurance and personal injury laws.
- Investigate your accident to gather evidence of the other driver’s liability
- Obtain accident reports and copies of citations related to the accident
- Calculate the value of your injuries and property damage
- Work with experts in accident reconstruction, medicine, and finance to strengthen your car accident case
- Conduct all communications and negotiations with the other side
- Take your case to court in pursuit of fair compensation
Contact a Tampa car accident attorney at Winters & Yonker to schedule your free case review to discuss your accident.
Tampa Car Accident Statistics (July 2023 Update)
Whether you were going home or driving to work, car accidents can happen. Hillsborough County had over 28,000 motor vehicle accidents in 2021. A majority of these were in the Tampa area. These collisions caused 18,691 injuries. Over 270 people died from their injuries.
Preliminary data shows there have been 13,651 crashes as of July 2023, resulting in 92 fatalities and 9,357 injuries (as of 7/1/2023).
Why Should I Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
You should always consider hiring a car accident lawyer in Tampa to help you with your injury claim. A lawyer will help you understand all your avenues for pursuing compensation, including filing a claim against your PIP insurance and claims against the liable driver.
They can investigate your accident to gather evidence of the other party’s liability. They can also work with you to track your damages and calculate the value of your case. That way, you leave nothing out during negotiations with the insurance company. Your attorney will also take care of all negotiations and communications on your behalf.
In fact, studies reveal that injury victims who hired an injury attorney obtained up to 3.5x more money for their claims than those who did not. Unfortunately, you can’t rely on insurance providers to prioritize your interests. It’s always in your best interest to speak with an attorney with years of experience about your case.
What is My Car Accident Case Worth?
The value of your case will depend on the seriousness of your injuries and the circumstances of the accident.
A few factors have the biggest influence on your claim’s worth:
- The cost of your medical bills (past and future)
- The extent of your lost wages
- Whether your earning capacity is diminished
- The pain and suffering you endured after the accident
- Whether you’ve a portion of the blame
- Available insurance coverages
- The strength of your evidence
The best way to figure out the value of your case is to contact a car accident lawyer in Tampa. At Winters & Yonker, we can calculate each of your damages to get a sense of your case’s value.
We can even bring in financial experts to help us value your losses, if necessary.
What Damages Are Available to Car Crash Victims?
Car accident victims are typically entitled to economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages compensate for financial losses and other expenses that can be proven with documentation. Some examples include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy costs
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Property damage
Non-economic damages are awarded to recompensate for non-monetary losses that are harder to value with bills and receipts. They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Reduced quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
The damages available in your case may largely depend on what insurance coverages are available for your claim.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Car Accident in Florida?
You can recover damages so long as you are not mostly to blame for your accident. Florida now has modified comparative fault laws. These rules require courts and juries to reduce your damages according to your percentage of blame for the crash. However, if you are 51% or more at-fault for the accident, you cannot recover compensation for your claim.
For example, if you have $100,000 in damages but are 50% responsible, you can only recover 50% of your damages ($50,000). But if you are 51% at fault, you will recover nothing.
Insurers are quick to use this to try to diminish the compensation they owe you. You should not be surprised if they try to blame you for the car accident.
You should contact a Tampa car accident attorney to help you defend allegations of comparative fault.
Why Should I File a Tampa Auto Accident Claim?
A car accident claim may be your only way to get compensation after a crash. The at-fault party likely won’t just pay you out of their own goodwill.
You’ll need to initiate an injury claim against their insurer to pursue financial awards for your medical bills, lost wages, and other types of damage.
When Should I Consult a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa?
As soon as possible after your accident. The insurance company will try to tell you you don’t need an attorney for your claim. In fact, they will probably follow up with a low-ball offer that doesn’t fully make up the true value of your damages — in hopes that you will accept some money and go away.
Calling a Tampa car accident lawyer right away can help you protect your rights. Your attorney will immediately assess your options for getting compensation, which may not only be limited no-fault benefits. They can also help you calculate the value of your claim, so you’re not fooled by quick offers meant to appeal to your financial vulnerability.
How Do I Choose The Right Car Accident Attorney?
Having the right auto accident attorney to manage your case is critical to get the outcome you deserve. It’s highly important to make sure your attorney has:
- Sufficient legal experience to undertake your claim, including trial experience. Ideally, your lawyer should have experience with the exact type of car accident and injuries you experienced.
- A strong track record of recovering compensation for their clients.
- Enough time and assets (legal staff, a network of experts, etc.) to dedicate to your claim.
Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers has decades of experience helping victims of car accidents in Tampa. We have the assets and skills to put you in a position to recover maximum compensation. Contact our law firm today for help.
We Handle All Auto Accident Claims in Tampa
There are many different types of car accidents in Tampa Bay. Some tend to be more serious than others. But any accident can cause serious injuries under the right circumstances.
We handle all car accident cases, including:
- Single-vehicle wreck
- Multi-vehicle crashes
- Speeding accidents
- Front-end or head-on accident
- Rear-end wreck
- Rollover accident
- Truck accident
- Accidents with a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist
- T-bone or sideswipe accident
- Drunk driving accident
- Distracted driving accident
- Hit and run accident
- Highway crashes
- A crash involving an uninsured or underinsured driver
- Fatal auto accidents in Tampa
If you’ve been involved in one of the motor vehicle accidents above, you deserve compensation. Our Tampa car accident attorneys can help you explore your rights and course of action.
Common Injuries After a Car Crash
Car collisions can produce a range of injuries, from minor bruises and scrapes to brain injuries and paralysis. The most common injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Chest injuries
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Wrongful death
You deserve compensation if another driver caused your accident and injuries. We can help you get the money you deserve. Contact us to schedule a free consultation today.
What Causes Most Car Wrecks in Tampa?
- Distracted driving (approximately 130,000 crashes in 2020 in Florida)
- Drunk driving (more than 4,500 crashes in 2020)
- Drowsy and sick driving (over 13,500 collisions in 2020)
- High-speed driving (contributed to 137 fatal crashes in 2020)
- Following too closely (caused around 13,000 injuries in 2020)
- Defective vehicles
- Road defects and conditions
You might have more than one contributing cause in your accident. Our lawyers can help you determine each cause and responsible party in your crash.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa?
It costs nothing upfront. Most car accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis. This means their fees are contingent upon the outcome of your case. You don’t pay anything unless they win your case.
If your car accident lawyer fails to recover a settlement or verdict for you, you won’t owe any fees. If your attorney is successful, they will take a, previously agreed, percentage of your case as payment for their services (usually 30 – 40%).
Moreover, most car accident lawyers offer free consultations to potential clients. Therefore, there is no financial risk in calling a lawyer.
How Should I Handle the Insurance Company?
Insurance companies are a business interested in their profits and shareholders. They will go to great lengths to minimize the value of your claim. Accordingly, you should be cautious when you deal with them.
You should take the following precautions with the insurance companies.
- Never agree to give a recorded statement, even if the adjuster says it is a requisite to process your claim. The insurer will ask questions designed to trip you up and then try to use your answers to devalue your claim.
- Do not agree to sign a medical records release. They will ask you to allow them to search your medical records related to the accident. What they really want to do is examine them for “pre-existing injuries.” If they find one, they will try to claim the accident did not cause your injuries or only made them worse.
- Let your lawyer negotiate with the insurance company. In reality, you should let your lawyer take care of all communications and interactions with the insurance company. They can save you from saying or doing things that will hurt your claim later on.
You don’t have to go through this alone. Let Winters & Yonker negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf.
What Are the Legal Elements of a Tampa Car Accident Claim?
Negligence requires proof of:
- Duty – You will have to prove the at-fault driver owed you a duty of care. All drivers owe this to other drivers, passengers, and road users to drive safely and follow traffic laws.
- Breach of duty – You will have to show the defendant violated their duty of care. That they didn’t act like a “reasonable person.” For example, the other driver might have breached this by following too closely or speeding before the accident.
- Causation – You will have to prove that an at-fault driver caused your accident. You must provide evidence showing the accident wouldn’t have happened had it not been for the defendant’s behavior. You must also show your injuries were foreseeable.
- Damages – That you suffered damages as a result of the crash. This includes medical care, hospital expenses, physical and mental injuries, etc.
You must prove each element to win your case. Your Tampa car accident lawyer will help you establish these with different types of evidence, including the accident report, medical information, eyewitnesses, and expert testimony.
Contact Winters & Yonker today for help proving your negligence claim.
What Factors Can Affect My Car Accident Claim?
There are many factors that can affect your case. Some of these factors can even reduce its value.
The following variables can impact your injury claim:
- Whether you suffered a serious injury and can opt out of the no-fault system
- Whether you’re partly at fault for your injuries
- Whether the at-fault party has bodily injury liability coverage
- Available insurance coverages
- The strength of your evidence
- Whether you can claim non-economic compensation
- Whether someone died in the event
An experienced auto accident attorney can help you understand how these factors will influence your case.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Car Accident in Florida?
Florida used to give accident victims four years (in most cases) to file a claim after a car wreck. However, as of 3/24/23, a new Florida law has reduced the statute of limitations for general negligence claims to two years. Wrongful death claims are subject to the same two-year time limit.
According to the new law, if you got into an accident before the law took effect, you will be subject to the four-year deadline. If you got into an accident on 3/24/23 or later, you will be subject to the two-year time limit.
The clock will typically start running on the date of your collision. If you fail to file your claim by the deadline, you will be barred from getting compensation in court. An auto accident attorney can help you determine the correct statute of limitations in your claim.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
You should take the following essential steps after a car accident:
- Call 911.
- Cooperate with the police and law enforcement as they arrive on the scene and draft an accident report.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver, and eyewitnesses to the crash.
- Take photographs and videos of the accident and your injuries (if possible).
- Seek medical treatment – by ambulance or by following up with your medical provider.
The final thing you should do is contact an experienced Tampa car accident attorney for help with your insurance claim. Your lawyer can tell you your rights and alternatives for pursuing the amount of compensation you deserve. They can also help you understand the value of your claim.
What you do in the days and weeks after the crash is critical. These important steps can help you protect your health and your injury claim.
If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, call us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced car accident lawyer. We will fight for you and your family to get the full amount of compensation you deserve.
What Does the PIP Insurance Cover?
Personal Injury Protection insurance pays you medical and wages replacement benefits regardless of who is responsible for your wreck. In Florida, a minimum PIP policy will cover up to 80% of your medical expenses and 60% of your lost wages.
Under Florida’s no-fault law, this policy will be your only recourse for compensation unless you suffered a serious injury (or your damages exceed your policy limits). If you were seriously injured, you can opt-out of the no-fault system and make a claim against the at-fault driver or their insurer.
Who Could Be Held Liable for My Car Accident Injuries?
There are many different parties that could be liable for your injuries. The liable party will likely be determined on how your collision happened.
The following parties might bear some or all of the liability in your case:
- Another driver
- A manufacturer if a defective vehicle part caused your accident
- A state or local agency in the case of defective roadway design or malfunctioning traffic signals
- A truck driver or trucking company in the case of a truck accident
- Uber/Lyft if you were in a rideshare wreck
- An employer if the other driver was on duty during the crash
Every party that shares fault for the crash is responsible for a proportionate share of the damages. An accident attorney can help you identify all the liable parties in your case. Contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers today for help.
Contact Our Tampa Car Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
You deserve a Tampa car accident lawyer who can help you maximize your compensation while you focus on your recovery.
Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers are “The Aggressive Attorneys,” and we’ll use our skills, experience, and aggressive advocacy to help you get the compensation you deserve. We have over 119 years of collective experience helping injury people.
Contact our office, conveniently located in Hyde Park, to schedule your free case review. We are available 24/7 to take your call.
Tampa Car Accident Client Review
Read more of our Google reviews.
Auto Repair Shops Near You
- Paul’s Auto & Collision – 1205 E Jackson St, Tampa, FL 33602
- Castillos Tampa Bay Auto Repair – 1111 E Cass St, Tampa, FL 33602
- A & D Automotive Center – 1127 E Twiggs St, Tampa, FL 33602
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website. These were some of the highest-rated auto repair shops on Yelp.
Additional Car Accident Articles & Information
- Can You Sue for an Auto Accident in Florida If You Are Not Hurt?
- How Expensive Is It To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
- How Long Do I Have To File a Car Accident Claim in Florida?
- When Do You Need To Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Car Accident Infographic
Tampa, FL Case Types
- Bicycle accident lawyers in Tampa
- Boating Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Tampa
- Car Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Construction Accidents in Tampa
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Tampa
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in Tampa
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Slip and Fall Lawyer in Tampa
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Tampa