A good percentage of the injuries people in America suffer annually are caused by slip/trip and fall accidents. The thing about slip and falls is that they can happen anywhere (from grocery stores to sidewalks to apartment/office buildings) at any time. Premises liability laws dictate that it’s the responsibility of property owners to make sure that their properties are safe for those who visit or reside in them. If for some reason, a building manager or landlord fails to maintain a habitable and safe environment, they can be held liable for any injuries/damages suffered by visitors and tenants.
If you have suffered damages after slipping or tripping and falling in a residential or commercial building, you, as a victim, reserve the right to sue the owner of the property for injuries and damages caused. However, since these claims can be a bit complicated, victims are advised to seek the services of skilled Lutz slip and fall lawyers for improved chances of getting compensated for their injuries.
At Winters and Yonker, we employ some of the most highly-skilled and committed personal injury attorneys in Florida, and are here to help you seek justice for your troubles. Our attorneys are dedicated, experienced, and professional legal experts who are ready to fight for your right and ensure that you get adequately compensated for your injuries. Call (888) 373-7770 now to schedule your free, no-obligation initial consultation with the team at Winters and Yonker. We are here for you.
Table of Contents
How Can An Attorney Help My Slip And Fall Case In Lutz?
As a slip and fall victim, it’s worth noting that there are several benefits to having a slip and fall attorney handle your claim. One of them is that personal injury attorneys have the experience, skills, and legal knowledge needed to handle cases related to personal injury. Apart from that, they also are your best bet when it comes to handling insurance companies, which are generally out to make sure they avoid spending any money on compensation or pay the least amount of money possible.
Other things a slip and fall attorney will do to help your case include:
- Collecting evidence
- Filing case details
- Ensuring all legal procedures and processes are followed
- Helping you determine how much your injuries are worth
- Seeking expert witnesses, etc.
What Steps Can Be Taken to Help a Slip and Fall Case?
The things you do immediately after your accident will, in the long run, determine whether or not your case will be successful. While the attorney you hire plays a crucial role in helping your case proceed, there are things that you could do after the accident that could help you strengthen the case. If you are still physically-able, make sure you:
- Take photos and videos of what caused the accident and your injuries
- Report the accident to the person who owns or manages the building or store
- Push to see if the problem can be addressed right away to avoid further injuries
- Kindly ask witnesses to give you their contact information
- Visit the nearest emergency room and get checked even you feel alright
How Can Slip And Fall Accidents Be Proven?
There are a few questions that need to be answered when proving a slip and fall accident. These include:
- Who’s the potentially-liable party?
- Was the accident due to their negligence?
- Was the owner of the property aware (or should they have been aware) of the potentially hazardous condition and did nothing about it?
- Was the victim aware of the impending danger?
- Could he or she have seen the danger in time or in advance?
- Were there any signs warning them of the impending danger?
How Do You Determine Liability In Florida Slip And Fall Cases?
Slip and fall cases can be tricky considering that they are often the victim’s word against the defendants. Since Florida is a pure comparative negligence state, the owner of the property could argue that you are partly to blame for the injury-causing accident. If their argument holds, you could probably see a substantial chunk of what the court awards you.
During the slip and fall claim filing process, you could be asked questions like:
- Did you have reason to be on the premises or property at the time of the incident?
- Would someone of reasonable caution, in the same situation, have seen and avoided the condition?
- Were there any signs put up warning people of the perilous condition that caused you to trip or slip and fall?
- Were you attentive (not distracted in any manner) when the slip and fall happened?
If found partly at fault, the state’s pure comparative negligence rule dictates that the award you get as compensation is reduced by the percentage you were at fault for the accident. So, if you are 25% to blame for the accident, then a total of 25 percent will be deducted from the amount awarded as compensation.
How Much is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
The sum of money victims can recover from, slip and fall accidents in Lutz, Florida, vary depending on a couple of factors. Since all slip and fall cases are different, here are a few things that are considered when trying to determine how much a slip and fall claim is worth:
- Permanent or long-term disability
- Medical costs
- Cost of non-economic losses like pain and suffering
- Loss of future earning and lowered income capacity
- Incidental losses that are related to your accident
Time Limits For Filing A Slip And Fall Lawsuit In Florida
Statutes of limitations are laws that put time limits on peoples’ rights to have a case heard by the state’s courts. If you miss this deadline, your case will be dismissed; though there is a rare exception that applies to extend or alter the filing window. If you live in Lutz, Florida, and have suffered an injury after slipping and falling on another person’s property, section 95.11(3)(a) of Florida Statutes dictates that you have four years from the day of the accident to file a lawsuit against the person who owns the property.
Contact A Lutz Slip And Fall Lawyer With Winters and Yonker Today
If you’ve been hurt while on another person’s property due to a trip or a slip, you are free to seek compensation for your damages and injuries. The attorneys at Winters and Yonker have helped dozens and dozens of victims over the years get compensation for their injuries and damages and would like to help you accomplish the same. Our lawyers are professional and experienced legal experts with the knowledge and skills to help take your case to fulfillment. Give our personal injury firm a call today by dialing (888) 373-7770 and book a free consultation with our Lutz, Florida, slip and fall attorneys.