Were you recently injured, or was a family member killed in a bicycle accident in New Port Richey, FL? Florida has been named the deadliest state in the U.S. for bicyclists due to yearlong warm weather and a high volume of tourists.
Most of these accidents are completely preventable. If you were injured due to someone else’s negligence, you could be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Winters & Yonker, P.A. is an accomplished personal injury law firm in New Port Richey, Florida that has recovered millions of dollars in compensation for clients over the years. We use our 119 years of combined experience to reach successful settlements and win at trial.
Table of Contents
How Can Winters & Yonker, P.A. Help After a Bicycle Accident in New Port Richey, FL?
After a bicycle crash, you may need an extended hospital stay or surgery, and you may have to miss work for several weeks or months. Your primary focus needs to be on your recovery, not fighting with insurance companies.
When you hire our experienced New Port Richey personal injury lawyers, you can rest assured that we will handle your case from start to finish so that you can concentrate on getting better.
Our top-rated trial lawyers can help by:
- Interviewing witnesses and reviewing other evidence to get a complete understanding of what caused your bicycle crash
- Hiring a medical expert to review your treatment protocol to make sure you are receiving proper care and help us understand the full extent of your injuries
- Monitoring any criminal proceedings related to your crash
- Filing claims and handling all communications and negotiations with insurance companies
- Presenting your case to a jury, if settlement talks are unsuccessful
Not all law firms in New Port Richey, Florida have adequate resources to conduct a thorough investigation, hire experts, and see your case through to trial. We are well-established with an excellent reputation among judges, court staff, opposing counsel, and trusted experts.
We are financially able to front the costs for your case until the end, and you won’t pay our legal fees unless and until we obtain a favorable settlement or verdict. Contact us today for a free case evaluation.
Overview of Bicycle Accidents in New Port Richey
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), there were 6,401 statewide bicycle crashes in 2021. They caused 5,956 injuries and 199 fatalities. That means that a staggering 93% of Florida bicycle crashes cause at least an injury.
Pasco County accounted for 144 of the state’s total bicycle collisions in 2021. They caused 134 injuries and five deaths.
How Much Can I Get for My New Port Richey Bicycle Accident Case?
The value of personal injury cases varies widely.
We’ll ask several questions that will help us determine how much your case could be worth, such as:
- Did you suffer a temporary or permanent disability?
- How much are your medical bills?
- How much additional medical treatment do you need?
- Will you need at-home nursing care?
- Did your accident cause you to miss work?
- If you are out of work, will you be able to return to the same job?
- How were you affected mentally and emotionally by the crash?
- Were you in any way at fault for the accident?
- Did you seek medical treatment right away?
- Do you have any pre-existing conditions?
- Were you injured while performing your job duties?
In general, accidents resulting in severe or fatal injuries are worth more. We always do everything we can to maximize your award based on a thorough review of the circumstances unique to your case.
I Was Injured in a Bike Crash—What Damages Can I Get?
Damages in a personal injury case are generally divided into two categories: (1) economic damages; and (2) non-economic damages.
Economic damages compensate you for monetary losses associated with:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity
- Repairing or replacing your bike
- Cost of medication
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Out-of-pocket accident-related expenses
While economic damages are typically fairly easy to calculate, we often consult experts to help us project the total cost of future medical care and the value of lost wages.
Often referred to as pain and suffering, non-economic damages compensate you for things like:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Physical pain
- Loss of enjoyment of life activities
- Loss of consortium (claim typically brought by a spouse)
These damages are a measure of how the crash negatively affected your quality of life.
In limited instances, punitive damages may be available. They’re rarely awarded, but it’s possible in cases when the defendant’s conduct was intentional, extremely reckless, or otherwise showed disregard for human life.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed For a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
You can still recover compensation in a Florida personal injury lawsuit even if you’re partially at fault. You just can’t be 100% responsible for the bike accident. The state follows a pure comparative negligence standard. If you’re partially at fault for the accident, your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of the blame.
Contact us if the insurance company or at-fault party is blaming you for causing the collision. It’s essential to have an experienced New Port Richey bicycle accident attorney on your side. We’ll aggressively push back against unfair blame to ensure you get the amount you deserve.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation For All Of Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
Many injuries from bike accidents tend to be severe. Regardless of what injuries you suffered, we’ll work to recover compensation sufficient to pay for your current and future medical treatment.
We frequently see bike accident victims with injuries such as:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Severe road rash
- Back and neck injuries
- Wrongful death
Some people think they can’t receive compensation if they have a pre-existing injury. That’s not necessarily the case. It can be complicated to prove, but you can usually recover compensation for damages to the extent your previous injury was aggravated by the accident. Our legal team has the skill and experience to help with all levels of injuries.
What Causes Most Bicycle Accidents in New Port Richey, Florida?
Cities in the U.S. are car-centric. Roads are designed for cars to go fast, even in areas with many cyclists and pedestrians.
Some common causes of bicycle crashes are:
- Distracted drivers
- Poorly designed roads
- Lack of bicycle infrastructure
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Drivers failing to watch for bicyclists
- Driving under the influence of intoxicants
- Running red lights
- Dangerous left-hand turns
- Right-hook accidents
Of course, cyclists must follow the bicycle laws in Florida. If you are partially to blame, as noted above, your compensation could be reduced.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Most personal injury claims are based on negligence. That’s the legal theory that allows an injured party (plaintiff) to recover damages from someone (defendant) who failed to act with the care of a reasonable person under the circumstances.
To prove negligence, you must prove:
- Duty: the defendant owed you a duty to act in a way not to cause you harm
- Breach: the defendant failed to uphold that duty
- Causation: the defendant’s action or inaction resulted in your injuries
- Damages: you suffered actual damages as a result of the defendant’s conduct
To recover damages, you must prove negligence by a preponderance of the evidence. This means you have to show that it’s more likely than not that the defendant was responsible.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
The statute of limitations in Florida is four years for personal injury cases and two years for wrongful death lawsuits. That may seem like a long time, but it goes by fast. It’s always best to consult an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as you feel up to it after your bicycle crash.
Giving your attorney time to investigate the accident, locate and talk to witnesses, and negotiate with insurance companies provides a much better chance of getting an award reflecting the full value of your claim. As memories fade, witness testimony is harder to pin down once too much time has passed. And the longer you wait, the harder it becomes to connect your injuries to the crash.
Contact Our New Port Richey Bicycle Accident Lawyers For a Free Consultation
Were you recently hurt in a bike crash in New Port Richey, FL? Winters & Yonker, P.A. has the experience, resources, and knowledge to help you fight for the compensation you need to help you get back on your feet.
We’ve recovered millions of dollars in life-changing settlements and verdicts for our clients. When you need aggressive representation from New Port Richey bicycle accident lawyers who are determined to get you every penny you deserve, call Winters & Yonker, P.A.
We offer free and confidential case evaluations, so call now.
Our personal injury law firm in New Port Richey, FL, also provides:
- Brain Injury Attorneys in New Port Richey, FL
- Car Accident Attorney in New Port Richey, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in New Port Richey, FL
- Truck Accident Attorneys in New Port Richey, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in New Port Richey, FL