If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s negligence in Tampa, FL, you may be able to recover fair compensation for damages. A Tampa bicycle accident lawyer at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help you with your case. Contact us today at (813) 223-6200 to schedule a free consultation.
You need an aggressive, diligent attorney fighting for your rights while you focus on recovering from your injuries. You may be able to hold the at-fault party responsible for your medical bills and suffering. However, it’s not always easy to get the compensation you deserve after a biking accident, our experienced attorneys here to help you file an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit to seek damages for the full extent of your losses.
We have over 119 years of combined legal experience and have won millions of dollars for clients throughout the Tampa Bay area. We’re here to help if you’re suffering from bicycle accident injuries, truck accident injuries, Tampa motorcycle accidents, car accidents, Tampa pedestrian accidents, or any other accident.
Call or contact our law office online today to schedule a free consultation to discuss your legal options and the compensation you can seek.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in Tampa, FL
Bicycle accidents can cause devastating injuries that debilitate you for months or years and affect your ability to work and live your life. If a negligent motorist or pedestrian caused your crash, they could be liable for your damages.
Unfortunately, no matter how clear the liability is, the at-fault party and their insurance company will fight you every step of the way to minimize your injuries and attempt to pay you as little as possible. That’s why it’s crucial to hire a Tampa personal injury lawyer to help you with your bicycle accident claim.
If you hire Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers for legal representation after your bicycle crash, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of your bike crash and identify all parties who may share liability
- Collect evidence – including accident reports, medical records, witness statements, and surveillance footage – proving the elements of your claim
- Work with leading experts (if necessary) to prove the severity of your injuries, how they impact your life, and the value of your damages
- Negotiate with the insurance adjuster and opposing party to work towards the best result in your case
- Take your bicycle accident case to trial if we cannot reach a settlement that fairly compensates you for your injuries
Our attorneys are known for our aggressive approach to seeking compensation for injured people who have suffered injuries through no fault of their own. Contact us to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Tampa personal injury attorney. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there’s no cost to get exceptional legal representation after your accident.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Tampa?
Florida consistently leads the U.S. for bicycle fatalities, and Hillsborough County accounts for many of them. In 2021, there were over 6,400 bicycle crashes across the Sunshine State. Around 3% of those accidents resulted in a fatality, and over 93% caused an injury.
Hillsborough County had 467 bicycle accidents in 2021 – accounting for over 7% of the state’s bicycle crashes. Those accidents resulted in 20 fatalities and 425 injuries.
Preliminary data as of September 15, 2022 indicates that Hillsborough County has had 319 bicycle accidents that caused 14 deaths and 285 injuries.
What Causes Most Bicycle Crashes in Tampa, FL?
Most bicycle accidents are caused by negligence – meaning they are typically avoidable.
Various scenarios can lead to a bicycle collision, including:
- Distracted drivers
- Lack of sufficient bike lanes
- Failure to leave enough space for bicyclists
- Failure to yield the right of way
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive drivers
- Defective bicycle or auto parts
- Poor visibility
- Adverse weather conditions
No matter how your crash happened or who caused it, we’ll help you with your claim from start to finish as we pursue the compensation you deserve.
How Much Is My Tampa Bicycle Accident Claim Worth?
The value of your bicycle accident case will depend on the severity of your injuries. Typically, the more severe your injuries – and the more they affect your quality of life – the more your bicycle accident claim will be worth.
While we cannot give an exact figure without knowing the specifics of your case, the following factors will be important when valuing your damages:
- The severity of your bicycle accident injuries, how they affect your life, and whether you’re expected to make a full recovery
- Whether you can work in the same capacity as before your bicycle accident
- The value of your medical costs and out-of-pocket expenses
- The level of pain and suffering you’ve experienced due to your bicycle wreck
- Whether you’ve suffered a permanent impairment, disability, scarring, or disfigurement
Many other things can affect how much your claim is worth, depending on the circumstances of your bike crash. During your free case evaluation, we’ll discuss your bicycle accident and advise you of the compensation you can seek.
What Compensation Is Available After a Bicycle Collision in Tampa, FL?
Bicycle accident victims in Tampa, FL may be entitled to economic damages to cover their monetary losses and non-economic damages to cover their personal, hard-to-value losses.
Economic damages may include:
- The medical expenses you’ve incurred due to your bicycle accident injuries
- Anticipated medical needs you may require, such as rehabilitation or physical therapy
- Your lost wages due to the bike crash
- Your lost earning capacity if you cannot work in the same position due to your injuries
- Out-of-pocket expenses
Your non-economic damages could include:
- The pain and suffering you’ve endured due to your bicycle accident injuries
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) you experience after your bike crash
You may be entitled to punitive damages if the motorist acted intentionally or with gross negligence in causing your bicycle accident. These damages are awarded to punish people for bad behavior and prevent others from engaging in similar conduct in the future.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicyclists don’t have a lot of protection if they’re hit by a 4,000-pound vehicle. Accordingly, when they’re involved in car accidents, they can suffer catastrophic injuries that cause lifelong complications and significant medical bills.
The Tampa bicycle accident attorneys at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers have helped clients who have suffered all types of injuries in bike crashes, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries and head trauma
- Spinal cord damage
- Fractured and broken bones
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Chest injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Road rash
- Soft tissue damage
- Eye injuries
- Internal organ damage
Contact us today to discuss your bike crash and the injuries you suffered.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Negligence is the failure to exercise reasonable care under the circumstances, causing someone else to sustain harm; it is comprised of four elements:
- Duty of care: All motorists owe others sharing the road – including motor vehicle occupants and bicyclists – a duty to exercise reasonable caution to avoid collisions.
- Breach of duty: You must prove that the negligent party breached their duty of care by acting unreasonably. For example, if they were texting while driving and hit your bike, they’ve breached their duty to keep everyone on the road safe.
- Causation: You must prove that the at-fault party directly caused your injuries.
- Damages: You must prove that you suffered injuries or harm in the bike accident.
The plaintiff in a personal injury case has the burden of proving all four elements of negligence by a preponderance of the evidence.
You do that by collecting evidence, such as:
- A crash report (police report)
- Medical records and statements from your medical provider regarding your injuries
- Eyewitness statements
- Photographs and videos of the accident and injuries
- Expert witness testimony regarding the accident, the effect of your injuries on your quality of life, and the value of your damages
- Statements from your family and friends regarding how your bicycle accident injuries have affected your everyday life
We’ll help you gather strong evidence proving your case and damages. Contact our Tampa personal injury law firm today to schedule a free consultation.
What If I’m Blamed for My Bicycle Accident in Tampa?
Bicycle accident victims in Tampa who share blame for their accident can still recover compensation under Florida’s modified comparative negligence statute. However, your damages will be reduced in proportion to your percentage of fault. But your right to compensation will be eliminated once your fault reaches 51%.
For example, you were riding your bike at night and failed to have a functioning light on your bicycle. A drunk driver hit you. You may be apportioned 20% of the blame because even a reasonable driver may have been unable to see you. Therefore, you’ll only be able to recover 80% of your awarded settlement or verdict.
Insurance companies and at-fault parties use Florida’s comparative negligence law to their advantage to limit their financial responsibility. We’ll push back and ensure you recover an amount that’s fair.
How Long Do I Have To File a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in Florida?
Under Florida’s statute of limitations, bicycle accident victims have limited time to file a personal injury lawsuit. You typically must file your lawsuit within two years of your bicycle accident date, or two years after a bicyclist’s date of death if the crash was fatal.
You may have more or less time, depending on the date of the accident and the parties involved. If you miss the statutory deadline that applies to your bicycle accident case, you’ll forfeit your right to pursue damages from the at-fault party.
Call Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers today to discuss your bike accident and ensure you preserve your legal rights to compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Tampa Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Were you hurt in a bicycle accident due to someone else’s carelessness in Tampa, FL? If so, you may be able to hold them liable for your losses.
However, it will likely be difficult to recover the money you deserve. The Tampa bicycle accident attorneys at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers will fight for fair compensation that accounts for the full extent of your injuries and suffering. Contact us today to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa, FL, also provides:
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Tampa
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Tampa
- Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Child Injury Lawyers in Tampa
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Dog Bites Attorneys in Tampa
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Premises Liability Attorney in Tampa
- Product Liability Lawyers in Tampa, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyer in Tampa
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Tampa
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Tampa