New Port Richey Brain Injury Lawyer (TBI)
A traumatic brain injury is one of the most serious injuries you can sustain following an accident. Commonly referred to as TBIs, traumatic brain injuries are caused when the head gets a sudden jolt or blow. The sudden and violent impact to the head causes the brain to suffer damage. If you or a loved one suffers a traumatic brain injury, life as you know it can change completely. Depending on how serious the injury is, an accident victim may have problems with their speech and experience memory loss. The person may also not be able to write, dress, walk or perform normal tasks.
Due to the seriousness of a TBI, an accident victim or their family should contact a New Port Richey brain injury lawyer at (813) 223-6200. The attorneys at Winters & Yonker can help the victim get the compensation they deserve for the injuries and losses they incurred. Damages recovered can include lost wages, medical expenses and pain and suffering.
What Are the Common Causes of TBIs in New Port Richey, FL?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says there are about 1.7 million cases of TBIs annually. In Florida today, over 210,000 people are living with traumatic brain injury-related disabilities. That’s sad because a lot of the accidents that cause these injuries can be avoided. Some of the occurrences that can cause you to have a traumatic brain injury include:
- Car accidents. These cause 20% of all traumatic brain injuries and are the leading cause of TBIs. The injury can occur on impact when you hit the steering wheel or other objects in the car.
- Falls. You can slip and fall and hit your head on the ground. The resulting impact can cause a traumatic brain injury.
- Falling objects and collisions. If you are passing by a construction site, building materials can fall and hit you in the head. If you’re a football fan, you know some players suffer TBIs because of the blows experienced while playing the game. According to the CDC, falling objects and collisions cause about 19% of traumatic brain injuries.
- Acts of violence. During a robbery, the thief may hit you on the head and cause you to suffer a TBI. Domestic violence can also cause traumatic brain injuries. Injuries sustained through acts of violence can lead to death.
After your accident, you may not realize immediately that you sustained a traumatic brain injury. Symptoms can take hours or days before they show. That’s why you should go to a hospital immediately after your accident. Doing so will ensure that your injury is detected early and treatment can begin. Some signs you should look for include
- Loss of consciousness
- Dizziness and blurred vision
- Memory loss
- Ringing in the ears
- Difficulty sleeping
Why Should You Talk to New Port Richey Brain Injury Lawyer
A New Port Richey brain injury lawyer will make sure the person who caused you harm is held liable. By filing a personal injury claim, a Winters & Yonker personal injury lawyer will get you compensation. The treatment required for traumatic brain injuries is very expensive. The compensation paid will ensure you and your family are able to comfortably pay for this treatment.
If the TBI causes death, our attorney can help family members file a wrongful death claim. Wrongful death claims usually arise in situations where a victim would have had grounds to file a lawsuit.
In Florida, the law allows four years for an accident victim to file a personal injury lawsuit. For a wrongful death claim, the time allotted is 2 years. Your Florida brain injury lawyer will ensure you meet these deadlines and don’t lose your right to compensation.
Contact a New Port Richey Brain Injury Lawyer Today
A brain injury can leave you with life-long injuries which can limit how you live your life. That’s why we advise you to contact an experienced traumatic brain injury lawyer in New Port Richey, FL. At Winters & Yonker, we have helped many victims get compensation for their injuries and other losses. Because of the seriousness of these injuries, you can get large sums in compensation. Our legal team will work hard to ensure you get the maximum compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Please call our office today at (813) 223-6200 for a free consultation. Don’t worry about legal fees. We know that most of your finances are needed for your treatment. We will work on a contingency basis. This means you will pay us only if we successfully get you a fair settlement.