Did you recently suffer a brain injury after an accident in Florida? Even a minor brain injury can have a huge impact on your life. If someone else is responsible, Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers will help you hold them accountable. Call our Clearwater brain injury lawyers at (727) 493-4418 for a free consultation.
Since 2001, the attorneys at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers have been a leader in personal injury litigation in Clearwater and surrounding towns on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Together, our award-winning trial attorneys have over 119 years of experience.
Hard work and dedication to our clients have helped us achieve millions in compensation from cases such as car accidents, Clearwater boating accidents, bicycle accidents, wrongful death claims, taxi accidents in Clearwater, and more.
Let us help you get the money you’ll need to get back on your feet after suffering a traumatic brain injury. Contact our law office in Clearwater, FL to arrange a time for a free, no-obligation case evaluation now at Clearwater.
The brain is central to everything we do. An injury can cause excruciating pain, limit your mobility, impair your ability to speak and communicate, and totally disrupt your life. Now is not the time for you to take on a contested fight for compensation. Now is the time for you to focus on getting better.
That’s why our Clearwater personal injury lawyers should be your first call for help.
We’re ready to take on the insurance company, hospital, negligent parties, and anyone else who tries to stand between you and the financial award you deserve.
When you turn to us for help, you won’t have to worry about your personal injury case. We’ll handle every aspect while keeping you fully updated on the progress.
- A thorough investigation of the accident or incident that resulted in your brain injury
- Careful examination of relevant evidence, such as medical records, accident reports, witness statements, physical evidence from the scene, photographs, and more
- Consultations with respected Florida brain injury specialists
- Defending you against allegations that you share responsibility for your brain injury
- Negotiations with the insurance company and other parties on your behalf
If other parties refuse to negotiate fairly, our top-rated Florida trial attorneys will be fully prepared to bring your case to a jury in Pinellas County. We’re tough and successful negotiators, but we really thrive in front of a jury.
Our law office works on a contingency fee basis, so there’s no risk in asking for our help. You pay nothing unless we win your case – end of story.
What is a Traumatic Brain Injury?
The term traumatic brain injury, or TBI, broadly refers to any injury to the head that disrupts normal brain function. Hundreds of thousands of people suffer TBIs every year, and millions live with the long-term consequences that can follow.
Brain injuries can include:
- Diffuse axonal injury
- Skull fracture
- Secondary brain injury
- Hypoxic/anoxic brain injury
- Coup-contrecoup brain injury
Traumatic brain injuries are classified by the length of time a victim loses consciousness and their Glasgow Coma Scale (GSC) score, which measures a victim’s eye-opening response, verbal response, and motor response after an accident.
Brain injuries are classified as:
- Mild traumatic brain injury: loss of consciousness less than 30 minutes, GSC score between 14 and 15
- Moderate traumatic brain injury: loss of consciousness between 30 minutes and 24 hours; CSC score between 9 and 13
- Severe traumatic brain injury: loss of consciousness exceeding 24 hours; GSC score between 3 and 8
Brain injuries can happen when a victim sustains a penetrating head injury (the skull is broken and penetrated) or a closed head injury (the skull remains intact).
What Are the Leading Causes of Brain Injuries in Clearwater?
According to the CDC, the leading causes of traumatic brain injuries include:
- Falls (responsible for about half of all brain injury hospitalizations)
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Suicide using a firearm
At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, we represent victims who have sustained brain injuries as a result of:
- Car accidents
- Clearwater Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents in Clearwater, FL
- Pedestrian accidents in Clearwater, FL
- Bicycle accidents
- Uber and Lyft accidents
- Boating accidents
- Train accidents
- Bus accidents
- Falls from heights
- Slip and fall accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Accidents involving defective products
- Dog bites
- Medical malpractice
Even a minor bump, blow, or jolt to the head can cause a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Do not hesitate to reach out to our Clearwater car accident lawyers if you’ve recently been in an auto accident that resulted in a TBI. We can help you understand your legal rights and work on a strategy to help you get the compensation you deserve.
What’s the Time Limit to File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
In Florida, the statute of limitations for most brain injury lawsuits is two years. However, if your brain injury occurred before 3/24/23, you will have four years to file your claim. This change is based on a new March 2023 tort law passed in Florida.
The clock begins to tick the date of the accident that caused the TBI or the date the brain injury is discovered, whichever is earlier.
Once the deadline passes, you’ll lose the right to demand the financial accountability you deserve. Reach out to a qualified Clearwater traumatic brain injury attorney to preserve your rights today.
How Much Money Can I Get If I File a Brain Injury Claim in Florida?
It’s easy to understand why you’d want to know how much money you’d be able to get by filing a brain injury claim or lawsuit. However, there’s no standard answer. Every case is incredibly unique. The specific circumstances of your situation will dictate the value of your claim.
Of course, you can get a sense of the value of your brain injury case by considering the answers to these questions:
- What type of traumatic brain injury did you sustain?
- Is your TBI categorized as mild, moderate, or severe?
- Have you had to stop working since getting hurt?
- Will you be able to return to work in the same capacity?
- How have you been affected psychologically and emotionally by the trauma of your TBI?
- Do you share responsibility for your TBI?
- How has your quality of life changed since your accident?
- How old are you?
The more your life changes because of your traumatic brain injury, the more your case will tend to be worth.
You can learn more about your specific situation by enlisting the help of our respected catastrophic injury attorneys in Clearwater. Contact our law office for a free consultation now.
What Damages Are Awarded to Brain Injury Victims in Clearwater, Florida?
By filing an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit, you can receive both economic damages and non-economic damages to compensate for your brain injury.
Economic damages compensate for financial costs and losses associated with a brain injury, such as:
- Nursing care
- Lost wages
- Property damage
Non-economic damages compensate for trauma related to a brain injury, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If a Pinellas County jury finds that someone acted intentionally or displayed a conscious disregard for your safety, they might determine that punitive damages should be awarded, too.
Can I Still Get Compensation If I’m Partly Responsible for My Brain Injury?
Yes. Florida is a modified comparative negligence state. When you share fault, you can still recover compensation. However, your damages are reduced in direct proportion to your share of the blame. But if you share 51% or more of the fault, you will be barred from recovering damages.
Let’s say you suffer a traumatic brain injury in a car accident in Clearwater. Your case is valued at $1,000,000, and you’re assigned 10 percent fault. Your financial recovery will be limited to $900,000 when shared responsibility is taken into account. If you are 51% at fault, you will recover $0.
Don’t let well-deserved compensation slip away because someone else decides to try and blame you for getting hurt. Protect yourself from these victim-blaming strategies by calling Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers for help with your brain injury case. We’ll anticipate these tactics and be prepared to challenge them every step of the way so that you can maximize your recovery.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Respected Clearwater Brain Injury Lawyer
You could be entitled to a sizable financial award if you or a family member has sustained a traumatic brain injury in Clearwater, Florida. You deserve to maximize your recovery, which is why Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers should be your first call for help.
Our Clearwater brain injury attorneys have 119+ years of combined experience and have won millions on behalf of clients just like you. We have the resources and passion you need to win your case, and we’re more than ready to help you achieve the best results.
Contact us at our law office in Clearwater to set up a free consultation to learn more. Our team is always available – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Our personal injury law firm in Clearwater, FL, also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Clearwater
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Clearwater
- Car Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Dog Bites Attorneys in Clearwater, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Clearwater
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Clearwater
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Clearwater, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Clearwater
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Clearwater, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Clearwater