According to Responsibility.org, 814 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes in Florida in 2019. This is far too many people killed because of the careless actions of others. Every DUI accident can be avoided if drivers choose to act responsibly by not getting behind the wheel after consuming alcohol.
If you or a loved one was injured in a DUI accident in Clearwater, Florida, the compassionate legal team at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help. Contact us today for a free case review by calling (727) 493-4418.
How Our Clearwater Car Accident Lawyers Can Help With Your DUI Accident Claim
Since 2001, Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers has been a pillar in the community. We have over 119 years of combined experience and five locations throughout the Clearwater and Tampa areas.
If you choose us as your personal injury law firm, a Clearwater car accident attorney can help in the following ways:
- Look for evidence of intoxication, such as photos or videos with open containers of alcohol or pending criminal charges against the drunk driver
- Work with law enforcement to gather as much information as possible about the drunk driver’s activities leading up to the crash
- Review the accident report, medical records, and other evidence to help establish your claim
- Handle communications with the insurance companies and other parties on your behalf
- Demand full compensation for your injuries
Learn more about how we can help by contacting our Clearwater, FL law firm today.
Why Are Clearwater DUI Accidents So Dangerous?
Even small amounts of alcohol can negatively affect driving and other abilities.
Some of the ways alcohol can affect the body and the ability to drive safely include:
- Depth perception – People who have been drinking have problems distinguishing how far away objects are, which can mean that they do not brake in time to avoid an accident.
- Difficulty maintaining lane – Drunk drivers are often seen weaving in and out of lanes because they have difficulty maintaining the same lane.
- Vision – Drinking can blur a person’s vision and make it more difficult for them to see hazards.
- Reaction time – A driver’s reaction time can be significantly reduced, meaning that they may be driving at higher speeds at the time of impact. Higher speeds are associated with more severe injuries.
- Judgment – Drunk drivers may have impaired judgment, making it more likely that they will engage in risky driving behaviors, such as speeding.
If a drunk driver caused your car accident, our team can investigate the case and gather evidence to establish the driver’s criminal activities.
Florida DUI Laws
In Florida, a person can be arrested for drunk driving if their blood alcohol or breath alcohol levels are 0.08 percent or above. They can also be arrested if alcohol has impaired their normal faculties.
A drunk driving conviction can result in the following consequences:
- Jail time
- Community service
Your lawyer can gather evidence of the driver’s impairment.
Proving Liability in a DUI Accident Case in Clearwater, Florida
Your Clearwater car accident attorney can try to gather evidence establishing that the driver was intoxicated at the time of the accident, which might include:
- Photos or videos showing open containers or other signs of impairment at the scene of the accident
- Photos or videos of the driver drinking within a few hours of the accident
- Criminal court records showing that the driver was convicted of a DUI offense
- Receipts showing the recent purchase of alcoholic beverages
- Social media stories about partying near the time of the accident
- Subpoenaed medical records that show blood or breath test results
After you can establish that the other driver was drunk at the time of the accident and the drunkenness caused the accident, you can demand compensation for the injuries you suffered.
Potential Compensation in a Clearwater, FL DUI Accident Case
Drunk driving can cause serious injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Complex fractures
- Serious burns
- Permanent disabilities
- Permanent disfigurement and scarring
Treating these injuries can be expensive. However, you can pursue compensation for the expenses you incurred because of the collision, such as:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning capacity if you are permanently disabled due to the accident
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
It may be possible to demand punitive damages in court for DUI-related damages. While rare, punitive damages are meant to punish a wrongdoer for particularly egregious behavior. Your lawyer may argue that the driver’s decision to drive drunk was reckless and showed a disregard for your life in order to demand punitive damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Clearwater Auto Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one were victims of a DUI accident in Florida, contact us for a free consultation to discuss your case with an experienced Clearwater auto accident attorney, we handle all car accident claims, such as:
- Distracted driving accidents
- Head-on crashes
- Hit-and-run accidents
- Intersection crashes
- Parking lot accidents
- Rear-end crashes
- Multi vehicle accidents
- Red and yellow light accidents