Are you suffering from a brain injury caused by someone else’s actions in St. Petersburg, Florida? You could be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost earnings, and suffering. Call the St. Petersburg brain injury lawyers at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers today at (727) 314-5988, we will fight for you while you focus on recovering.
Our experienced accident attorneys have over 119 years of combined legal experience. We have a proven track record of success and won millions of dollars for injured victims throughout Florida in cases like car accidents, St. Petersburg pedestrian accidents, bus accidents, truck accidents, catastrophic injuries in St. Petersburg, motorcycle accidents, and more
We know how to hold responsible parties liable for their actions, and that’ll be our main objective if you hire us to handle your brain injury case.
Contact our law firm in St. Petersburg, FL today and schedule a free consultation to see how we can help you get the compensation you deserve. Our legal team is available 24/7 to listen to your story and offer honest advice.
How Can Our Personal Injury Lawyers Help You With a Brain Injury Claim in St. Petersburg, FL?
Brain injuries can result in extensive medical bills and months of missed work. You may be unable to enjoy the activities you once participated in, and you may have mood changes, memory loss, and other symptoms that affect your everyday life.
You don’t need to take on a legal battle while you’re dealing with all these things. Let our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys handle your claim for damages so that you can heal.
When you hire Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to help you with your brain injury case, we’ll:
- Investigate the accident or incident that caused your brain injury to determine who may be liable
- Gather evidence proving the elements of your brain injury claim
- Consult experts – including medical professionals, mental health specialists, financial advisors, vocational experts, and more – to build your case and value your damages
- Negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure you receive a fair settlement
- Fiercely argue for you in court if we need to file a brain injury lawsuit
Our attorneys are known for our aggressive advocacy. We’re passionate about securing settlements and verdicts that fully compensate our clients for their economic and non-economic losses.
Contact our law office today to see what we can do to help you after suffering a brain injury in St. Petersburg, FL.
Overview of Brain Injuries
Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are caused by external forces to the head, such as a bump, jolt, blow, or penetrating injury.
Open brain injuries happen when something fractures or pierces the skull, such as a bullet. Closed brain injuries don’t involve a penetrating force but occur when there’s a rapid movement of the head, such as if you’re in a car accident or fall.
A non-traumatic brain injury (or acquired brain injury) occurs due to internal factors in the head, such as a tumor or lack of oxygen.
No matter what type of brain injury you sustain, the consequences can be severe and far-reaching. It may impact your life forever and cause a permanent disability or impairment.
Types of Brain Injuries
There are many different types of brain injuries, ranging from mild to moderate to severe, including:
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAIs)
- Coup-contrecoup injuries
- Skull fractures
- Anoxic injuries
- Brain tumors
- Hemorrhages/brain bleeds
- Cerebral edema
A brain injury can be primary or secondary. Primary injuries to the brain occur at the initial moment of the accident or incident, such as a skull fracture. Secondary brain injuries occur after the initial injury as an indirect result and can evolve with time (e.g., cerebral ischemia after suffering head trauma).
How Common Are Brain Injuries?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that approximately 176 people die from brain-related injuries daily in the United States. That’s over 64,000 fatalities per year. Over 220,000 Americans are hospitalized for TBIs each year.
TBIs are the leading cause of disability and death in people aged one through 44. Around 2.5 million people suffer from brain injuries annually, and 80,000 suffer from permanent disabilities from TBIs.
The Florida Department of Health reports that 4,827 people in Florida died from traumatic brain injuries in 2020, and 206 of them were in Pinellas County.
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of Brain Injuries?
The symptoms will depend on the type of brain injury, its severity, and the person. For example, a concussion may present mild symptoms in one person but life-altering consequences for someone else. You may develop post-concussion syndrome, which can affect your memory and ability to concentrate.
Some signs of a brain injury may include:
- Loss of consciousness
- Blurry vision
- Tinnitus (ringing in your ears)
- Nausea or vomiting
- Confusion or brain fog
- Feeling tired and having trouble sleeping
- Mood and personality changes
- Depression or irritability
- Sensitivity to sound and light
- Seizures or convulsions
- Balance or motor function problems
Brain injuries don’t always present symptoms right away. That’s why it’s crucial to seek medical attention immediately if you are involved in an accident.
What Causes Brain Injuries in Florida?
According to the CDC, most people sustain brain injuries due to:
- Car accidents and other motor vehicle crashes
- Firearm-related incidents
However, TBIs can also result from:
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Boating accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Sports-related incidents and other recreational accidents
- Swimming pool accidents or nearly drowning
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Birth injuries
- Medical malpractice
- Premises liability, including slip and fall accidents
- Defective products
- Exposure to toxins
Call our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers today to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your brain injury and how it occurred.
What Is My St. Petersburg Brain Injury Case Worth?
The value of your St. Petersburg brain injury case will depend on the severity of your trauma and how your injury impacts your life. Your rehabilitation alone may cost $46,000 or more – and that’s not including your hospital stay and other medical expenses.
The factors that will impact your case include:
- The severity of your brain injury and the ongoing treatment it will require
- How your brain injury affects your quality of life
- Whether you can continue to work
- Whether you can work in the same capacity as before the brain damage
- Your age at the time of the accident
- Your medical expenses, including future healthcare needs
- The pain, suffering, and other personal losses you’ve suffered
You may need physical therapy, psychiatric attention, occupational therapy, and medication to treat your brain injuries for months or years to come. We’ll help you identify and calculate all your losses to ensure that we include them in your claim for damages.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Brain Injury in St. Petersburg, FL?
Brain injury victims in St. Petersburg are entitled to compensation for their economic and non-economic damages if another party causes their injury.
Economic damages are your financial losses due to the brain injury, such as:
- Medical bills, such as doctor’s visits and imaging tests
- Future medical expenses, including ongoing rehabilitation and specialized therapy
- Lost income
- Loss of earning potential
- Other out-of-pocket costs, such as transportation costs and in-home care
Non-economic damages are the personal, more difficult-to-value losses you sustain due to your brain injury, including:
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish, anxiety, depression, or PTSD
- Loss of companionship
If the liable party acted intentionally or with gross negligence in causing your brain injury, you might be able to recover punitive damages. Punitive damages punish defendants for egregious behavior and are intended to deter others from engaging in the same type of conduct.
Contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers today to discuss your head trauma and the compensation you can seek for it.
How Long Do I Have to File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
Victims who sustain brain injuries in Florida have limited time to file a lawsuit after the incident that caused the damage. Under Florida’s statute of limitations, you’ll typically have two years from the accident date to file a brain injury lawsuit. If a loved one died from a brain injury, you also only have two years from their date of death to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
There may be exceptions that shorten or lengthen the deadline. If you miss the applicable deadline, you’ll forfeit your legal right to hold the at-fault party liable for your damages.
Contact our St. Petersburg brain injury attorneys today to preserve your legal rights to compensation.
Contact Our St. Petersburg Brain Injury Lawyers for a Free Case Evaluation
Did you sustain a head injury in St. Petersburg, FL due to the negligent or intentional actions of another person? If so, you may be able to hold them accountable for your losses. However, it may not be easy to get the money you need.
Reach out to the experienced St. Petersburg brain injury lawyers at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to get an aggressive legal advocate in your corner fighting for you. We offer a free consultation and work on a contingency fee basis – meaning you owe no upfront fees and only pay if we secure a favorable outcome in your case.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Boating Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Child Injury Attorneys
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Premises Liability Attorney
- Product Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg
- Truck Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL