If you or a family member were injured in a slip-and-fall accident on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation. An experienced St. Petersburg slip and fall accident lawyer at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more. Call us at (727) 314-5988 to get legal assistance.
Our experienced lawyers have dedicated our entire practice to helping accident victims recover fair compensation. Collectively, we have over 119 years of experience handling complex personal injury law matters.
It’s easy to get more information about your legal rights and options after an accident. Contact our law offices in St. Petersburg, Florida to schedule your free consultation today.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident in St. Petersburg
Property owners carry insurance to protect them if someone is injured in an accident on their property. As long as you weren’t trespassing, you may have a valid insurance claim after a slip and fall.
Unfortunately, slip and fall cases can be difficult to prove. Property owners often point the finger at the victim to avoid financial liability. An experienced personal injury lawyer in St. Petersburg can stand up and fight to protect your rights.
At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, our experienced lawyers can help with your case by:
- Gathering evidence to support your claim
- Determining how much your case is worth
- Hiring experts to testify on your behalf
- Defending you if you’re blamed for falling
- Negotiating with the insurance company for fair compensation
- Advocating for your rights in court
Most slip and fall cases are settled out of court. If the insurance company doesn’t offer a fair settlement, however, our St. Petersburg personal injury attorneys won’t hesitate to take your case to trial. To learn more about how we’ll fight for you, call our St. Petersburg law firm today.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg?
Slips, trips, and falls are one of the most common ways to get hurt. Falls are the second leading cause of injury-related death. Globally, about 37.3 slip and fall victims are hurt seriously enough to require medical care every year.
In the state of Florida, falls are the leading cause of both unintentional injuries and injury-related fatalities among residents aged 65 and older. In a single year, 3,013 Floridians were killed in fatal slip and fall accidents. One study found that 67,860 people in Florida were hospitalized with fall-related injuries over a one-year period.
What is My St. Petersburg Slip and Fall Accident Case Worth?
Before taking any insurance settlement offer, it’s important to make sure the settlement covers all of your costs. That includes current financial losses and costs, future costs, and your personal losses. Without an understanding of your case value, you’re likely to accept less money than you deserve.
The value of your case depends on a variety of different factors, including:
- The type of injuries you sustained
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Whether you’ll need future medical care, rehab, or therapies
- Whether you’ll make a full recovery
- The value of your lost wages
- How the injury impacts your ability to make a living
- Your physical, mental and emotional suffering
- Lifestyle changes and challenges you’ll face due to the injury
In most slip and fall cases, you’ll file an insurance claim with the property owner’s insurance company. The amount of available insurance coverage can also limit the value of your personal injury claim.
What Types of Damages Are Available To Slip and Fall Accident Victims?
Any type of unexpected injury can put you in a tough financial situation. An injury can also fundamentally change your lifestyle and your future. Florida personal injury laws give victims the right to seek compensation for both their economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages include your financial costs, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Nursing care
- Property damage
Non-economic damages compensate for your personal losses, such as:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Chronic pain
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
In other words, personal injury laws are designed to make you “whole” again after an accident.
Of course, some losses can never be erased by money. Still, those damages can greatly increase your settlement offer. You can count on our slip and fall attorneys to do everything we can to recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
Property owners often try to blame victims who slip and fall on their premises. If they succeed, the victim’s settlement or verdict can be reduced under Florida’s modified comparative fault laws. However, you won’t lose your right to recover damages unless the accident was 51% your fault.
Insurance companies often use comparative fault laws to reduce settlements paid to negligence victims. Regardless of what the insurance company says, it’s important to remember that they don’t always have evidence to support their allegations.
Consulting an experienced lawyer is the best way to make sure that the insurance company isn’t unfairly blaming you for the accident. Contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to schedule a free case review with a St. Petersburg slip and fall accident attorney.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Slip and Fall Injuries
Slips and falls can cause serious injuries, including:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Broken hips
- Knee injuries
- Facial injuries
- Ankle and wrist injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Wrongful death of a loved one
The most serious slips and falls can be catastrophic or even fatal.
What Causes Most Slip and Fall Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Any dangerous condition can contribute to the cause of a slip and fall accident.
Some of the most common causes of slips and falls include:
- Slick or slippery floors
- Inadequate lighting
- Accumulated puddles and rainwater
- Missing floor mats
- Unsecured carpets or mats
- Uneven pavement
- Missing or damaged guardrails on staircases and walkways
- Debris and other obstacles in walkways
- Loose electrical cords, cables, or wires
- Missing stair treads or damaged stairs
Remember, you may have a valid premises liability claim whether you were injured inside the premises or outside.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
Florida property owners must maintain their property in safe condition under Florida premises liability laws. They have a duty to keep the property clear of unsafe conditions that could cause injuries. When you slip and fall because of negligent property maintenance, you can hold the owner liable.
To prove the property owner was negligent, you must establish:
- The scope of the property owner’s legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- Causation, or the breach of duty caused the accident
- The damages you sustained
All property owners have a legal duty to warn invited visitors and guests about non-obvious dangers. Business owners in Florida are subject to heightened duties. When you enter a business establishment, you’re classified as an invitee.
Business owners have a duty to:
- Conduct regular property inspections to identify hidden dangers
- Fix any dangerous property conditions in a reasonable amount of time
- Provide adequate warning about dangers the owner knew or should have known about
These are ongoing duties. Business owners have a duty to continuously maintain their premises in safe conditions. If you were injured while visiting a business establishment, you may have a valid premises liability case.
For example, you may have a case against a negligent:
- Apartment complex manager
- School, college, or university
- Grocery store
- Bar or restaurant
- Nursing home
- Daycare center
- Parking lot
- Parking garage
- Office complex
- Shopping mall
- Sports or entertainment complex
- Cruise ship
Our slip and fall lawyers will investigate and gather the evidence to identify all parties who are legally responsible for your damages. If you were injured due to dangerous property conditions, contact our law firm in St. Petersburg to schedule a free consultation today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
The statute of limitations limits the amount of time you have to file a personal injury lawsuit after an accident. Under Florida law, most personal injury cases must be filed within two years of the accident. You may have shorter or longer under certain circumstances. If you miss the deadline, the judge will dismiss your case without awarding damages.
Contact a St. Petersburg Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Did you slip and fall on someone else’s property? Are you struggling with painful injuries and sky-high medical bills? An experienced St. Petersburg slip-and-fall accident lawyer can help you fight for the compensation you deserve. Call Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to learn more about this area of law today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Boating Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Child Injury Attorneys
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Premises Liability Attorney
- Product Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg
- Truck Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL