Were you or a loved one injured while walking in St. Petersburg, FL? Pedestrians are always at risk of sustaining serious injuries in a car accident. An experienced St. Petersburg pedestrian accident lawyer at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Between us, our lawyers have over 119 years of experience helping clients like you. We have the resources to fight for the maximum compensation possible in your case.
It’s never too soon to learn about your legal rights. If you were injured, contact us online or call our law offices in St. Petersburg, Florida at (727) 314-5988 to schedule a free consultation today.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Pedestrian Accident in St. Petersburg
If you were injured by a careless driver, you shouldn’t have to worry about how you’ll pay the bills. Pedestrian accident injuries can fundamentally change your life. An experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorney at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can protect your interests and your future.
Our legal practice is dedicated exclusively to helping accident victims recover fair compensation for their injuries. Over the years, we’ve helped countless clients get the money and treatment they deserve.
When you hire our legal team to handle your case, we will:
- Investigate the circumstances of the accident
- Locate all negligent parties who share blame for the crash
- Retain top-rated experts in various specialties
- Handle all paperwork and legal issues
- Calculate the true value of your personal injury claim
- Handle all communications and insurance negotiations
In every case, our goal is to recover the maximum compensation possible for our clients. You only pay our attorneys’ fees if we recover compensation for you, so there’s no risk in calling to learn more about how a St. Petersburg personal injury attorney can help.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in St. Petersburg?
Crossing the street can be dangerous in St. Petersburg. Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) preliminary data for 2021 predicts that at least 7,485 pedestrians were killed in car accidents across the United States.
Florida is one of the most dangerous states in the U.S. for pedestrians. According to the GHSA report, 899 pedestrian fatalities were reported across the state of Florida in 2021.
St. Petersburg and Tampa are no exception. Unfortunately, research shows that the Tampa Bay area is the eighth deadliest metro area in the United States for pedestrians.
What is My St. Petersburg Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
Every pedestrian accident case is unique. Assessing the value of any personal injury case requires a complete assessment of the facts and circumstances of the injury. The amount of money you recover will be closely tied to the severity of your injuries.
Many different factors will be important to determining the value of your personal injury claim, including:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- The duration of your recovery
- Your physical pain and suffering
- The value of your lost wages
- Damage to your emotional well-being, quality of life, and lifestyle
- Whether you in any way contributed to the cause of the accident
Depending on the facts, outside factors can also play a role. The identity of the responsible party and the amount of insurance coverage available are also important facts to consider.
Insurance companies have experts who are paid to assess your case value. They also have teams who will work to downplay the extent of your injuries. Insurance adjusters can be convincing when it comes to trying to get you to accept less than you deserve.
Call our lawyers in St. Petersburg to learn more about how an experienced attorney can help you level the playing field.
What Types of Damages Are Available To Pedestrian Accident Victims?
Pedestrian accident victims can seek compensation for economic damages and non-economic damages under Florida personal injury laws.
Examples of the types of compensation you may be entitled to receive include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished future earning capacity
- Nursing care
- Rehabilitation, therapies, and specialized care
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Chronic pain
- Loss of consortium
You’re entitled to seek compensation for any loss you incur because of the accident and injury. That includes both your financial losses and your more personal and subjective losses.
Often, expert testimony is required to prove the value of the non-financial damages you’ve suffered. We’ll also work with experts in medicine and other specialties to assess the potential value of your future costs.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Pedestrian Accident in Florida?
Florida has modified comparative fault laws. After an accident, each party who shares fault is assigned a percentage of liability. Each party is responsible for their own share of fault.
The modified comparative negligence system is fairly simple. You can recover compensation if you are partially at fault; you cannot recover compensation if you are mostly at fault.
Assigning a percentage of fault, on the other hand, is rarely a simple process. It’s not an exact science, and insurance companies often manipulate the shared fault rules to scare you into accepting less money than you deserve.
We’ll Fight To Recover Compensation for All of Your Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians are at the highest risk of sustaining serious injuries in motor vehicle accidents. Occupants in passenger cars have seat belts, airbags, and a metal frame to protect them. Pedestrians have no protection at all in a crash.
At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, we often represent pedestrian accident victims who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Crushing injuries
- Chest injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Knee injuries
- Facial injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Burns and road rash
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
If you’re lucky, you’ll escape with relatively minor injuries if you were involved in a St. Petersburg pedestrian accident. Sadly, not all pedestrians are so lucky if they’re hit by a car. Our lawyers are here to help you fight to hold the at-fault driver accountable for your damages.
What Causes Most Pedestrian Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Pedestrians often have a tough time walking down the street in St. Petersburg safely. A growing population and booming tourist industry have generally made the streets more congested. High-speed limits often make matters worse for pedestrians.
Generally, most pedestrian accidents occur because of driver error, including:
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Talking on a cell phone
- Failure to yield the right-of-way for pedestrians in intersections and crosswalks
- Driving too close to the sidewalk
- Veering onto the sidewalk
- Tailgating and aggressive driving
- Dangerous turns
- Racing through intersections to beat a red light
- Running stop signs
- Other traffic violations
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
Road conditions can also contribute to an increase in pedestrian accidents. Malfunctioning traffic signals, poor lighting, and poorly designed intersections can make the streets more dangerous for pedestrians.
If you were hit by a motor vehicle, you must determine the cause of your accident to recover fair compensation. Our lawyers will conduct a complete investigation to find out what happened. All you have to do is call our St. Petersburg pedestrian accident attorneys to get started today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Pedestrian Accident in Florida?
To recover compensation, it’s the victim’s responsibility to prove that someone else’s actions caused the injuries. Most of the time, you must prove negligence to recover damages.
Negligence means proving that:
- The at-fault driver owed you a legal duty of care
- A breach of duty happened
- The breach of duty caused your accident
- You suffered damages
No two cases are exactly the same. Your lawyer will investigate to locate evidence to prove these elements.
The most valuable types of evidence in pedestrian accident cases include:
- Police and accident reports
- Eyewitness testimony
- Video surveillance footage, whether from dash cams, traffic cameras, or local businesses
- Photos of the accident scene
- Testimony from accident reconstruction experts
At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, we have the tools to help you prove your case. To learn more about your legal rights after an accident, call for a free case review today.
How Long Do I Have To File a Lawsuit After a Pedestrian Accident in Florida?
Every state has laws that limit the amount of time you have to take legal action after an accident. In Florida, the statute of limitations is two years. If you don’t file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the accident, you cannot sue the responsible party for damages. You may have longer or shorter depending on the facts of the accident.
Contact a St. Petersburg Pedestrian Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Have you been injured in an auto accident while walking down the street? You could be facing a painful recovery. An experienced St. Petersburg pedestrian accident lawyer at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help. Please contact our law firm to schedule a free initial consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Boating Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Child Injury Attorneys
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Premises Liability Attorney
- Product Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg
- Truck Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL