Did you or a family member suffer injuries in an accident involving a rideshare service in St. Petersburg, FL? Uber and Lyft accident cases involve complex insurance rules. An experienced St. Petersburg Lyft accident lawyer can help you fight to recover full compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Our attorneys have over 119 years of combined experience between us, taking on cases like car accidents, truck accidents, St. Petersburg bus accidents, commercial vehicle accidents, St. Petersburg taxi accidents, and many more. Let us use our proven track record of success to help your family recover the fair compensation you deserve.
It’s never too early to discuss your case with an experienced lawyer. Contact our law office at Winters & Yonker, P.A. in St. Petersburg, Florida, to schedule a free consultation today at (727) 314-5988.
How Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Lyft Accident Injury Claim in St. Petersburg
Most car accident victims must negotiate with an insurance company to recover compensation after a crash. In Lyft accident cases, the insurance coverage limits can be much higher. The insurance company will work even harder to minimize the value of your settlement.
Hiring an experienced St. Petersburg personal injury attorney can mean the difference between accepting a lowball settlement and maximizing your compensation.
At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, we have decades of experience helping accident victims get the money they need to get back on their feet again.
Hiring us means you’ll have an advocate to:
- Identify the correct insurance policy that is available in your case
- Gather evidence to prove your case
- Calculate the fair value of your insurance claim
- Defend you if you’re blamed for the accident
- Hire experts and specialists who can strengthen your claim
- File an insurance claim against the at-fault driver
- Negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf
Having a car accident lawyer by your side can make a world of difference. To learn more about how our St. Petersburg personal injury lawyers can help, call for a free case evaluation today.
What Is My St. Petersburg Lyft Accident Case Worth?
Generally, some of the factors that will influence the value of your car accident case include:
- The severity of your injuries and your prognosis for making a full recovery
- The cost of your medical treatment and other expenses
- Whether you lose income while you recover
- Whether the injury impacts your future, whether in terms of your career, education, or lifestyle that suffers
- Your physical pain and suffering, as well as the emotional trauma you have endured
- Whether you share any blame for the accident
- The strength of your evidence and the circumstances surrounding the accident
It can also be tough to put a dollar value on the pain, suffering, and personal losses you may continue to endure for years to come. That makes it critical to have an experienced attorney review your case before accepting any insurance settlement.
How Can Insurance Impact the Value of My Lyft Accident Claim?
Florida is a no-fault insurance state. As a practical matter, most car accident claims are limited by the amount of insurance that’s available. Going through your Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage is likely your first option after a crash, assuming you have a policy in place.
You can generally step outside Florida’s no-fault rules and file a claim against the responsible driver if you’ve sustained a “serious injury” as defined by state statute. However, Lyft accident cases may be governed by different insurance laws than a typical motor vehicle accident claim.
All drivers in Florida are required to carry car insurance. Lyft drivers use their personal vehicles for commercial purposes. That means their personal car insurance company can potentially deny a claim if the driver is using the vehicle for business. On the other hand, the rideshare company can’t be held responsible because Lyft drivers are independent contractors, not employees.
Fortunately, Lyft must carry commercial insurance that covers drivers who are involved in an accident.
The amount of insurance coverage that’s available depends on the driver’s status at the time of the crash.
Driver Is Logged into the Lyft App and Available To Accept Rides
If the driver is logged into the Lyft app but has not yet accepted a passenger request, the following insurance coverage is available:
- $50,000 per person for bodily injury
- $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- $25,000 per accident for property damage
This coverage is available to the extent that your damages exceed the amount of personal auto insurance that is available under your policy.
Driver Has Accepted a Passenger Ride Request
A larger insurance policy becomes available the moment the Lyft driver accepts a passenger request.
That insurance policy provides:
- $1,000,000 in third-party liability coverage
- Certain types of first-party coverage, such as uninsured motorist coverage, underinsured motorist coverage, and PIP coverage
Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage up to the actual cash value of the damaged car (with a $2,500 deductible) may also be available if a driver obtains comprehensive and collision on their personal car insurance policy.
Lyft App Is Off
When the Lyft app is turned off, Lyft’s commercial policy is not available. However, the at-fault Lyft driver’s own personal insurance policy may be available as though it was any other car accident.
What Types of Compensation Are Available to Lyft Accident Victims in Florida?
After an accident, victims may be entitled to compensation for financial losses, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages, income and employment benefits
- Reduced earning potential
- Nursing care
- Household services
- Property damage
You may also be entitled to damages for non-financial losses, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium
These are the types of losses that can significantly impact your lifestyle and quality of life. They can also be incredibly difficult to value. Our St. Petersburg Lyft accident lawyers have years of experience helping clients like you get the fair compensation they deserve. To learn more about how we can help, call for a free initial consultation today.
Can I Recover Compensation for My Injuries If I’m Partly To Blame for a Lyft Accident in Florida?
Unless you were a Lyft passenger, you may be blamed for contributing to the accident. Don’t panic if that happens.
Florida follows a modified comparative fault rule. When multiple parties share blame, liability is divided between those parties. Each party is assigned a percentage of fault. If you’re partly responsible, your compensation is reduced by your percentage of fault. If your mostly responsible, your right to compensation is eliminated.
Our Team Will Fight To Recover Full Compensation for All of Your Lyft Accident Injuries
At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re here to help you seek compensation for all of your injuries–no matter how big or small.
We often represent clients who have suffered:
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal cord injuries
- Other types of head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
We’ll invest our own resources to fight for every dollar you deserve.
What Are the Common Causes of Lyft Accidents in St. Petersburg, Florida?
Rideshare drivers are just as likely to cause an accident as anyone else. In fact, they may be even more likely to be distracted or fatigued, given the amount of time they spend behind the wheel.
Some of the most common causes of Lyft accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Stopping in unsafe locations for passenger pick-ups
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Aggressive driving
- Dangerous turns
- Racing through intersections
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Improperly maintained Lyft vehicles
Our St. Petersburg Lyft accident attorneys can help you gather the evidence you need to determine the cause of your crash. Just call our law firm today to get started.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Lyft Accident Under Florida Law?
Most accidents occur because of negligent drivers. Negligence means that the at-fault Lyft driver failed to use the same level of caution that a reasonable person would exercise under the circumstances.
The four elements of your negligence case are:
- A legal duty of care existed
- A breach of duty occurred
- The breach caused the accident
- You suffered damages
Many different types of evidence can be used to establish negligence. In the end, you must show that someone else’s mistake caused your accident. Our Lyft accident lawyers will analyze accident reports, interview witnesses, and even search for video footage of the accident.
How Much Time Do I Have To File a Lyft Accident Lawsuit in Florida?
The statute of limitations limits the amount of time you have to take legal action after an accident. Under Florida law, most victims have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. The two-year limitations period begins to run on the date of the accident. After two years pass, you can no longer pursue compensation from the at-fault party.
(Note: You may have a longer statute of limitations depending on when your accident occurred. Contact us today to learn more).
Contact a St. Petersburg Lyft Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Do you have questions about your legal options after a rideshare accident? Contact a St. Petersburg Lyft accident lawyer for a free consultation today. At Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers, your initial consultation is always free, so don’t hesitate to reach out today.
Our personal injury law firm in St. Petersburg, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Boating Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- Car Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Petersburg Child Injury Attorneys
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Construction Accident Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg
- St. Petersburg Premises Liability Attorney
- Product Liability Lawyers in St. Petersburg
- Truck Accident Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workers’ Compensation Attorney in St. Petersburg, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in St. Petersburg, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in St. Petersburg, FL