Car accidents injure and kill thousands of people in Tampa, Florida each year. These accidents can result in significant medical expenses, lost income, and diminished quality of life.
If you’ve been in a motor vehicle collision, the experienced Tampa car accident lawyers at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help. Our legal team has over 119 years of combined experience, and we’ve used that experience to recover millions of dollars for our clients since we opened our doors in 2001.
Contact our Tampa personal injury law firm for help if you’ve sustained injuries or lost a loved one in a car accident in Tampa, FL at (813) 223-6200. We’re here to offer honest legal advice and guide you through the insurance claims process.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Tampa, FL?
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) maintains a crash dashboard with information regarding motor vehicle accidents, fatalities, injuries, and more.
The total crashes that were reported in Hillsborough County between 2018 and 2022 are as follows:
- 2018: 29,037 (7.19% of the state’s collisions)
- 2019: 29,155 (7.25% of the state’s collisions)
- 2020: 24,168 (7.08% of the state’s collisions)
- 2021: 28,020 (6.98% of the state’s collisions)
- 2022: 28,290 (7.28% of the state’s collisions)
Based on the last several years, car accidents in Hillsborough County have made up around 7% of Florida’s total collisions.
How Many Fatal Car Accidents Occur in Tampa, FL?
Traffic accidents resulting in fatalities comprise a small portion of Tampa’s yearly collisions. However, that doesn’t minimize the impact of losing a loved one in a crash, especially because most of them are avoidable.
Here are the fatal crashes reported in Hillsborough County between 2018 and 2022:
- 2018: 169 (0.58% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2019: 207 (0.71% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2020: 198 (0.82% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2021: 254 (0.91% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2022: 214 (0.75% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
Between 2018 and 2021, fatal crashes steadily rose, resulting in a 57% increase. However, 2022 was a less deadly year.
Tampa Car Accidents Resulting in Injuries
Many people are injured in motor vehicle accidents in Hillsborough County each year, as seen below:
- 2018: 13,188 (45.42% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2019: 13,118 (44.99% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2020: 10,803 (44.7% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2021: 12,157 (43.39% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
- 2022: 19,250 (42.85% of Hillsborough County’s total crashes)
On average, collisions that cause injuries comprise around 44% of the county’s crashes. That means nearly half of all car accidents in the county cause an injury.
Tampa Accidents Involving Bicycles
The FLHSMV reports the following statistics for bicycle accidents in Hillsborough County between 2018 and 2022:
- 2018: 519 accidents causing 11 fatalities and 495 injuries
- 2019: 544 accidents causing 12 fatalities and 507 injuries
- 2020: 472 accidents causing 14 fatalities and 446 injuries
- 2021: 467 accidents causing 20 fatalities and 425 injuries
- 2022: 476 accidents causing 18 fatalities and 435 injuries
On average, bicycle crashes cause injuries nearly 93% of the time in Tampa and throughout Hillsborough County.
Tampa Accidents Involving Motorcycles
Here are the motorcycle accident statistics in Hillsborough County between 2018 and 2022:
- 2018: 656 crashes causing 31 fatalities and 571 injuries
- 2019: 640 crashes causing 51 fatalities and 548 injuries
- 2020: 579 crashes causing 32 fatalities and 525 injuries
- 2021: 584 crashes causing 37 fatalities and 514 injuries
- 2022: 597 crashes causing 44 fatalities and 518 injuries
Motorcycle accidents cause injuries less often than bicycle accidents in Hillsborough County. On average, motorcyclists sustain injuries 87.5% of the time if they are involved in a crash.
Tampa Accidents Involving Pedestrians
The pedestrian accidents that occurred in Hillsborough County over the last several years are as follows:
- 2018: 624 accidents causing 52 fatalities and 565 injuries
- 2019: 640 accidents causing 57 fatalities and 552 injuries
- 2020: 545 accidents causing 52 fatalities and 453 injuries
- 2021: 655 accidents causing 65 fatalities and 541 injuries
- 2022: 656 accidents causing 58 fatalities and 564 injuries
Based on these figures, pedestrians are 85.9% likely to suffer injuries in accidents in Hillsborough County. While pedestrians are, on average, less likely to sustain injuries in accidents than bicyclists and motorcyclists, they are more likely to be killed. If you’re struck by a car while walking in Hillsborough County, you’re nearly 10% likely to be killed.
Tampa Hit-and-Run Accident Statistics
There are thousands of hit-and-run accidents in Tampa and Hillsborough County each year:
- 2018: 6,401 crashes, killing 15 people and injuring 1,617
- 2019: 6,857 crashes, killing 19 people and injuring 1,640
- 2020: 6,128 crashes, killing 20 people and injuring 1,618
- 2021: 7,319 crashes, killing 23 people and injuring 1,927
- 2022: 7,484 crashes, killing 13 people and injuring 1,870
These accidents make up nearly 25% of the county’s total crashes – meaning one of every four collisions involves a fleeing driver.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Collisions in Tampa, Florida?
Negligence is the most common cause of collisions in Tampa, FL. Whether it’s a speeding driver, a distracted pedestrian, or a tired motorcyclist, all of these scenarios involve negligent conduct.
Some common factors leading to car accidents include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- Fatigued driving
- Following too closely (tailgating) and other aggressive driving maneuvers
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Improper lane changes
- Road debris
- Lack of infrastructure for bicyclists and pedestrians
- Adverse weather conditions
- Unfamiliarity with the area (e.g., tourists)
- Failing to stop at red lights and stop signs
Distracted driving is the most common underlying cause of accidents with the rise of cell phones and handheld devices. Even if someone was following too closely, it might have been because they were distracted by a GPS or other device.
A Tampa car accident attorney will help you identify what caused your collision and hold the at-fault driver accountable for your damages.
Tampa’s Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections
Collisions can happen anywhere and at any time. However, that doesn’t mean that some places can’t be more dangerous than others.
Some of the most dangerous roads and intersections in Tampa include:
- Waters Ave
- Interstate 75
- Hillsborough Avenue West and Sheldon Road
- US 301 and Gibsonton Drive
- Bruce B. Downs Blvd. and Fletcher Ave E
- Bloomingdale Ave and Providence Road
- US 301 and Big Bend Road
- Bloomingdale Ave and Bell Shoals Road
- Brandon Blvd
- Interstate 275
- Interstate 4
Many other areas experience motor vehicle collisions every year. You should always drive defensively and safely to try and avoid accidents on Tampa’s roadways.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Tampa Car Accident Lawyers
Tampa’s car accident statistics are surprising, and deadly crashes are on the rise. If you or a loved one have been injured or killed in a collision in Tampa, FL, contact Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss your accident.
We’ll help you gather evidence, value your damages, prove liability, and file claims. With an aggressive attorney on your side, you can rest assured that you’ll recover the maximum amount possible for your injuries and suffering.
Contact our law firm for a free consultation to see how we can help you after a car accident in Tampa, Florida.