While you might think of car accidents as occurring on open roadways, many actually occur in parking lots. As many as one in five car accidents happen in a parking lot or garage. However, parking lot accidents can be confusing. You might not know where to turn for help or what to do next.
You can discuss your legal rights and options with a skilled personal injury lawyer who can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Contact our law firm in Tampa at (813) 223-6200 for a free consultation. We will answer all questions you may have.
How Our Tampa Car Accident Lawyers Can Help After a Parking Lot Collision
The Tampa car accident attorneys at Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help you file a claim following a parking lot accident. We have over 119 years of combined experience, and the track record to prove it, we can put to use to help fight for the compensation you need.
While you have your choice of lawyer to hire, we think we are particularly qualified to assist with your claim because we:
- Have a network of medical professionals we can refer you to so we can ensure you get the medical assistance you need
- Are capable of handling every aspect of your claim from start to finish
- Have an established reputation as aggressive attorneys who don’t back down
- Can meet with you in any of our convenient office locations in Florida
Contact our law firm in Tampa, Florida today for help with your parking lot accident claim.
Why Do Parking Lot Accidents Happen?
The typical parking lot contains many pedestrians, moving vehicles, and shopping carts traveling in different directions. The National Safety Council reports that many people driving in parking lots are distracted, which can increase the likelihood of a crash.
Some common distractions include:
- Talking on cell phones
- Navigating the GPS
- Altering controls in the vehicle
- Sending or receiving emails
- Using social media
- Taking photos
- Watching videos
- Tending to children or pets in the backseat
Pedestrian accidents can also occur in parking lots. Some parking lot accidents occur when motorists are not looking out for pedestrians, who may be walking behind their vehicles or dashing into stores.
What Kinds of Parking Lot Accidents Can Occur?
There are various types of parking lot accidents, including:
- Parking accidents – Two vehicles may be competing for a parking spot and may collide when they both try to pull into the same spot at the same time.
- Backing out accidents – Drivers who are reversing may not be able to see another vehicle or pedestrian behind them and may collide with them.
- Accidents when pulling forward out of a spot – Some drivers may drive forward out of an empty parking spot and collide with an oncoming vehicle.
- Thoroughfare accidents – Some accidents occur in thoroughfares that lead out to the street when vehicles in smaller feeder lanes do not yield the right-of-way to those in thoroughfares.
- Pedestrian accidents – Some parking lot accidents involve a car hitting a pedestrian. These accidents can result in serious injuries since pedestrians have no protection from vehicles that weigh thousands of pounds.
An experienced Tampa car accident lawyer can investigate your parking lot accident and determine who is at fault for it.
What Makes Parking Lot Accidents Complicated?
Parking lot accidents may involve unique legal complications. For example, they often occur on private property. Parking lots may not follow the same traffic rules as public roadways. Police may not respond to an accident on private property, which means you may not have an accident report to file with your insurance company.
Another potential complication is that parking lot accidents may involve the parking lot’s owner. The owner may share liability for the accident because they poorly designed the lot, had inadequate lighting, or did not properly maintain the parking lot. If the parking lot did not have clearly marked lanes, directions of traffic, crosswalks, traffic signals, or other safety features, you may be able to file a claim against the property owner. This claim may be in addition to your claim against the other driver.
What Should I Do After a Parking Lot Accident in Tampa, FL?
There are steps you can take to protect yourself after a parking lot accident, including:
- Contact the police
- Get the other driver’s information
- Take pictures of the accident scene
- Ask witnesses for their contact information
- Write down how the accident happened while your memory is fresh
- Visit a doctor immediately to assess your injuries
- Report the accident to your insurance
- Ask the property owner for footage of the accident, if possible
Our car accident lawyers have extensive experience assisting injury victims in navigating the claims process and recovering compensation for the losses they’ve suffered. If you were hurt in a Tampa parking lot accident, contact us for a free consultation today.
How Do I Prove Fault in a Tampa Parking Lot Accident?
Proving fault in a parking lot accident often relies on showing the positions of both vehicles at the time of the accident.
This may be established by proof such as:
- The accident report
- Photos of the damaged vehicles
- Dash cam footage
- Surveillance footage
- Witness statements
Having a car accident lawyer on your side can help you during this challenging time.
Contact a Skilled Tampa Car Accident Attorney for Help With Your Parking Lot Accident Claim
If you were hurt in a parking lot accident in Tampa, Florida, a knowledgeable lawyer from Winters & Yonker Personal Injury Lawyers can help. Contact our firm today for a free case review with a compassionate Tampa personal injury lawyer.
We handle all auto accidents, including:
- DUI accidents
- Speeding accidents
- Head-on crashes
- Highway crashes
- Hit & run accidents
- Intersection crashes
- Lane change crashes
- Left-turn accidents
- Multi-vehicle car crashes
- Parking lot accidents
- Rear-end crashes
- Recreational vehicle accidents
- Red and yellow light accidents
- Rollover accidents
- Single-vehicle accidents
Additional Car Accident Resources
- Car color & crash risk
- Car accident statistics
- Florida car inspection laws
- Florida child car seat laws
- Passenger negligence
- Road defects
- Most Dangerous Roads and Intersections
- Airbag injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Do I have to go to court after a car accident in Florida?
- Tampa car accident frequently asked questions
- How does car insurance in Florida work?
- Can I be reimbursed for lost wages after a Tampa car accident?
- Can I be compensated for pre-existing conditions after a Tampa car accident?
Our personal injury law firm in Tampa, FL, also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Tampa
- Bus Accident Attorney in Tampa, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Tampa
- Car Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Dog Bites Attorneys in Tampa
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Tampa, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Tampa
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Premises Liability Attorney in Tampa
- Product Liability Lawyers in Tampa
- Slip and Fall Lawyer in Tampa
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Tampa, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyers in Tampa
- Workers’ Compensation Attorneys in Tampa
- Workplace Accident Attorney in Tampa
- Wrongful Death Lawyer in Tampa